Planning trip to Maui

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Jamie

Planning trip to Maui

Planning our first trip and had what I hope is a easy question.

We're planning on staying 2 weeks. We don't want to stay in a dump (who does) but not looking to break the bank either. So, what would you all say is a fair price to pay per week for a Condo for 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids). We hope to find something next to the beach with a BBQ that we can use, fully stocked unit, (IE: W/D, dishes and so on), pool for the kids, yada, yada, yada....the prices vary so much and each place we've looked at looks terrific. We're planning on going next summer BTW.

Thanks to all for your input

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Lani

Go to Kihei, and get a condo near Kamaole Beaches 1, 2 or 3, preferably 3.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Ken

Starting at $125 per night in Kihei. $200 per night in Kaanapali. Reduce those rate by one third if you rent a condo directly from the owner rather than through the property management company.

Most people prefer the Kaanapali area over Kihei. Most people prefer the rates in Kihei.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Marilyn

Try going to vrbo.com. There are many condos that you can rent directly from the owner, at reasonable prices. We are going to Maui in December, a family of five, and have rented a condo near Kaanapali ( at one of the golf courses a short walking distance away from a fantastic beach) for $140./night, including taxes. It is a two bedroom, two bath, queen pullout in the livingroom, kitchen, etc. If you would like more info, let me know. However, there are tons of places like that listed on vrbo.com.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Rex

Marilyn,

Have you SEEN, in PERSON, this place 2br/2b, within walking distance of a fab beach for $140/nt in Kaanapali? Some of these things look great on the web or on paper, and it can be another thing when you get there. That is inexpensive for Kaanapali, and I'd be wary of it. I'd go for Kihei, you can be almost on one of the Kamaole Beaches (just across the street), and get a nicer place for your money, IMO.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Ken

I am assuming that the 2 bedroom 2 bath condo for $140 per night is not near Kaanapali Beach but north of Kaanapali in Honokowai or Kahana.

However by renting from the owner you can get a beachfront studio condo right on Kaanapali Baech for $130. And yes, I have been there and done that. Why go to Kihei ?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Marilyn

The property I mentioned above is actually at the International Colony Club, in the Kaanapali Beach Resort. It is not right on the beach, but across the road. I understand that it is not right in Kaanapali near the resorts, but is a short walking distance away. We felt that we would rather stay near Kaanapali instead of the less-expensive Kihei area. I have been to Kihei before and it isn't my favourite area of Maui. We have three teenagers who we thought would like this area better. We do have photographs of the cottage, and while it doesn't appear fancy, it seems fine. This is the fourth time I have rented directly from an owner. Twice was absolutely fantastic, the third time was so-so. This makes the fourth.