Planning Trip to Great Northwest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh that is too bad about missing Italy! The PNW is great though (I live here and still prefer Italy, lol!).

If you come after Labor Day there will be less crowds, and we usually have wonderful weather in September.

A rental car depends on if you are planning on getting out of the cities at all. What are your interests?
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would rent a car for what you describe. Portland is ~3 hours south, and Vancouver ~3 hours north from Seattle straight down/up I-5. I guess you could get to both by bus or train but it would be somewhat of a hassle... driving would be the easiest by far. August and September are both usually beautiful months weather-wise. The only crowds you need to worry about is if you attend Bumbershoot (don't get me wrong it's a fantastic fun event)! I think the ways you've divided up your days sounds fine.

Susan in Seattle
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Because of travel times between these cities, you might check open jaw fares. Seattle to Portland is a 3+ hour drive and I believe Seattle to Vancouver is about the same. So, if you used Seattle as a base, you'd unnecessarily lose the better part of a day in travel (or are you planning to fly?).

I agree with mms; September is a great weather month, and crowds are lesser with kids back in school after Labor Day.

Even though I live here, unless you have a specific reason to come, I'd skip Portland. As a city, it really has little to offer that you can't find in Seattle and/or Vancouver. A good reason to come this way might be to see the Oregon coast. If that became part of your plan, I'd add a day to Portland/Oregon, and drop one from Seattle.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 12:26 PM
z

I agree with beachbum, add a day to Portland/Oregon, and drop one from Seattle.

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I think your schedule is okay. A couple of notes.

There's only one train a day between Seattle and Vancouver. Leaves Seattle at 7:45 AM, leaves Vancouver at 6 PM. 4 hours give or take each way. All the other listed departures on the Amtrak website are buses (little icon that many people miss. What a drey.)

Bumbershoot is actually 4 days, Fri-Mon. Most people are pretty bumbered out after one or two days of it.

Remember Labor Day is also a Canadian holiday, which they celebrate by adding a "u" to the name. So traffic, crowds, all that - no escape.

I adore Portland but have to think that, hour for hour, for someone not familiar with the region, you might consider saving it for a different time, and reallocate your Portland days to Vancouver, including getting a car and driving up to Whistler for a day trip or an overnight. One of the most scenic drives in N. America, and then you can ogle the millionaires' ski dachas and look around the soon-to-be Olympics site.

For foodies, do check out the PNW board on Chowhound.com and ask for Vancouver advice from the pros on the Canada board.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:28 PM

One of the big attractions of the Pacific NW is the gorgeous scenery and great hiking--especially around the time of year you will be here. Unless you're not interested in the "great outdoors", you really should plan to spend some of this time in one of the several possible outdoor locations. I suggest doing a search by starting by clicking on Gardyloo's name--he's given great advise in the past.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 11:23 AM

I don't know about this tour, but the San Juan Islands are absolutely magical! If you can, consider staying at one overnight. As far a booking during Bumbershoot Weekend--I'd suggest booking as far ahead as possible. That's a really big weekend.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:53 PM

Go to Florence, Tuscany, and Venice (and Rome). Forget about the euro vs dollar exchange. If people stop to wait for that to change or alter their plans because of it, they're choosing the wrong path.
You'll save money on flights if you wait 'till late October, early November and similar savings on the hotels which will compensate for the unfavorable currency exchange.
Any chance you have to go to Italy (and Europe), take it.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:50 PM

Although I love the Pacific NW (I live here), I agree with Zola--if you really want to go to Italy--go. We're going again this May and while I'm not exactly thrilled about the low exchange rate, I'm not willing to wait for it to change before we go back. I figure we'll just have to cut some corners in other ways...
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

My vote still goes for Italy

I have taken Amtrak between Portland and Seattle, although it was many years ago. It was a very pretty ride though, so I don't think you would be disappointed at all.

If you do the San Juans, definitely stay the night. It is too time consuming for a day trip really.

Both OR and WA have great hiking, if you are interested.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM

Italy would be nice, but the PNW is also beautiful. Where will you be staying in Seattle and Portland? ***kim***
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:37 PM

We have some great Italian restaurants in Seattle!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Orcas:

Clever effort. Seattle is a nice place. While visiting there, I enjoyed some of the best seafood I've ever had in the US. We have GREAT Italian restaurants in Chicago as well, but there is no describing the experience and ambience of sitting in a restaurant in Rome, Venice, Florence, Naples . . . Not incidentally, the food is wonderful and the people are warm and friendly.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Zola, I'm with you...Italy is amazing and although I love the PNW it definitely does not compare to Italy
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 11:42 AM

You might consider swapping the Portland days for a couple in the San Juans.

Perhaps something like this:
5 days Seattle
2 San Juans (Friday Harbor or Orcas)
1 Victoria
2 Vancouver and back to Seattle

Portland's fine, but I'd rank it behind the Seattle the San Juans and Vancouver. Plus Victoria is a nice stop.

Portland is best saved for a separate trip that includes the Oregon beaches, mountains and wineries.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Hi, chicgal!

Here I go, sounding a slightly different note again!

It really all depends on what you would like to do and to see. If nature and the great outdoors, then the PNW would be an exquisite choice. If culture and lots of art, etc. then Italy would undeniably be the better choice.

If the PNW, get a car. The landscape between Seattle and Portland is nothing in comparison to the Oregon coast. Coming all this way and not seeing the coast, well, what can I say?

Taking a day to explore the San Juan Islands is a great suggestion.

Vancouver is a beautiful city, but you should also look into Victoria and other parts of Vancouver Island.

Then there's the Columbia Gorge.

If you want to go wine-tasting, you have to have a car.

All this and I haven't even touched on the part of the PNW that I love the most. Go West, Young Woman! Go West!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Chicgal,

My gut says to turn up in Seattle after Labor Day, unless the bumbershoot activities are of major interest to you. The costs will be down, the tourist traffic will be down considerably, and the weather can sometimes be quite a nice, pleasant surprise here in mid Sept.

IF you must go to Bumbershoot, then be sure to plant all five of your Seattle days to straddle Labor Day weekend so you don't have to drive/travel with tourist traffic north or south.

If I were driving between these cities then maybe I would conform to your scheduled interests but if I were really traveling by train and by foot/bus in each locale, I would cut out Portland and do a more thorough job of Seattle and Vancouver.

Seattle has a great bus system and Vancouver is compact enough, and has adequate transportation to allow for a thorough exposure in just a few days.

Just wanted to add a couple of those vibes.