Portland/Seatte/Vancouver

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland/Seatte/Vancouver

If you click on my name, you will see that I am in limbo trying to plan a trip for my Mom and I in August (My Mom is in her late 50's and really active). After much deliberation, we are thinking we are going to do the Pacific Northwest - specifically, fly into Portland - drive up to Seattle - and use Seattle as our hub for Victoria Island/Vancouver. We are planning 7 nights (2 in Portland/5 in Seattle?). We will have a rental car.

I have been to Seattle before, so I am good in that planning arena, but have not been to Oregon or Vancouver/Victoria. My questions are as follows:

1. Fly into Portland/out of Seattle - good idea? Or should we fly into Portland out of Vancouver. We will rent a car.

2. Where should we stay in Oregon? Should we stay in Portland, we are only going to be there 2 nights?

3. Is the drive from Portland to Seattle beautiful? Where should we stop? I have heard the Oregon coastline is beautiful - is this north or south or Portland?

4. Driving to Vancouver? Is that a good idea? I know driving around Seattle isn't a good idea, but I would like to keep the car if we decide to do any "side trips".

Any ideas or information or advice is much much much appreciated. I am thinking abuot staying at The Claremont in Seattle...I have stayed there before.

THANK YOU!!!!!! JESSICA
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:24 AM

I'd fly into Seattle and out of Portland. The drive from Portland to Seattle is not all that pretty - just freeway driving- I'd take the ferry from Seattle to Vicoria - or a float plane - the float plane is fun- you can catch at Lake Union and flys into the harbor in Victoria.
The Oregon coast is beautiful - but somewhat unpredictable weather wise.
How about staying at one of the Oregon beach towns instead of Portland - like Cannon Beach - just a short drive from Portland.
If your mother is active you will want to take her to Mt Ranier for some great hiking around Paradise-
maybe she'd like to go ocean kayaking in the San Juans -
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sunbum. Would you suggest 5 nights Seattle/2 Portland (Cannon Beach). And, is it the southern coast of Oregon that is pretty?

I was also thinking about the San Juans - should we stay there overnight - or just daytrip?

Thanks! Jessica
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Just a note on the car rental. We are flying into Seattle, visiting Vancouver, Whistler, Portland, and ending up Ashland, Oregon. Drop off charges on Seattle picked up cars were absolutely horrendous! Finally we found that if we pick one up in DOWNTOWN Seattle, we can drop it off in Medford, Oregon cheaper than any other combination we could figure out, even turning one back in there!

I strongly suspect the car rental drop off is an even greater problem if pickup is in the US and drop off in Canada or vice versa, so I'd certainly think of returning to the States to fly home. Seattle and Vancouver are so close anyway.

For what it's worth, with your limited time, I'd consider doing what we're doing one day in Seattle -- take an all day whale watching trip that goes out through the San Juans and also stops in Friday Harbor. It sounds like a rather relaxing way to accomplish a lot.

With such limited time, I think my choice would be to fly into Seattle, drive immediately to Vancouver for two nights. Do a day trip incorporating Victoria and Butchart (sp?) Gardens on the way to Seattle for three nights. Then drive direct to Portland for two nights and fly home.

I don't see any point in going up to Vancouver for just a day trip. I suppose if you could get there by early afternoon on the first day, you could cut that down to just one night, enough to at least spend the bulk of a late afternoon and evening there, then add a fourth night to Seattle.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:48 AM

St. Helens is not too far out of the way on the drive between Portland and Seattle (just 40 miles north of Portland). That would be a worthwhile stop.

The south Oregon coast has a more rugged beauty than the north, which has more sandy beaches etc. But, the entire coastline really is spectacularly beautiful. None-the-less, I'm not sure I'd recommend spending your two nights in Oregon at the coast. Cannon Beach and Seaside are an easy day trip from Portland. And Portland has enough to hold your interest for a couple days as well.

I'll leave Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver to the local experts there, but I've thought a ferry ride from Seattle to Victoria, overnight, to Friday Harbor, overnight, then back to Seattle sounds like a fun trip. I'm not sure the Victoria to Friday Harbor trip is doable, though.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
#3 - The normal drive between Seattle and Portland is not attractive at all! Just a straight stretch of I-5 freeway. (Same statement can be made for Seattle to Vancouver by car.)

I would reconsider and just in/out Portland and go directly out to the coast as you mentioned Cannon Beach, etc.

Or into Seattle and drive/ferry up to the San Juan Islands, or head east over the pass to the Methow Valley, or go to the Washington coast, or the Olympic Peninsula, or Whidbey Island for something closer in.

Or fly in/out Vancouver and do Victoria, Vancouver Island, etc.

With only 7 days I definitely wouldn't try to hit all 3 cities (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver) as they are somewhat similar to my mind, and the drive between them not appealing as already mentioned.

susan in seattle
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:23 AM

mt st helens was mentioned as a stop place between Portland and Seattle and while interesting and scenic - is not just a stop off the freeway - requires considerable driving to see much of it.

While you are in Seattle take mom to the Teatro Zinzanni - its a wonderful evening- with dinner and incredible entertainment held in an antique wooden circus tent - in downtown Seattle- cross between Moulan Rouge and Cirque de
Soleil -
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Although Mt. St. Helens is not right not off a freeway exit, it isnt too far and would make a great sidetrip if you had the time. It would be a nice break during the drive between Portland and Seattle. We personally really enjoy it and think it is worth the detour, but it all depends on your timeframe and interests.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Great feedback - thank you!

I am wondering if I should narrow our trip to just Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver/San Juans and cut-out Oregon. Is that what you suggest, Susan?

Should we stay the night on Victoria or San Juans? I would rather just have one "city" experience (Seattle) - and then stay our other nights in more quiet/beautiful settings....Maybe skip staying overnight in Vancouver?

Thanks!
Jessica

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM

I think Seattle,Victoria and the San Juans would make a great trip
sorry you'd miss Oregon- my home- but you cant do it all
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:48 AM

sunbum, What are you doing sending tourist dollars away from Oregon where we need them so badly? Have to agree, though, Seattle - Victoria - San Juans would make a nice trip if you can work out transportation logistics.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Sorry!

So, how would you logistically suggest doing Seattle - Victoria - San Juans? Driving? Ferries? What direction? Fly in/out Seattle, right?

Thanks Jessica
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:16 PM

jessicam40, if you don't do Oregon this trip, you must come back and spend time in this beautiful state. The Oregon Coast is gorgeous, I prefer the northern coast.

Portland is also a beautiful city and not to be missed. This summer we will be traveling from Portland to Seattle, then up to Vancouver for awhile. Since you haven't seen Oregon before and you have been to Seattle, it might be fun to see some new things.

We're really looking forward to Vancouver and would also love to visit Victoria if time allows. Have a great time! ***kim***
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Jessica,

Cars on ferries = hassles. But you don't really need a car in Seattle or Victoria. But, you probably would want some transportation in the San Juans. And transportation between Victoria and the San Juans is somewhat sketchy. Too many "ands" and "buts" for this Portland guy to deal with. I suggest starting a new thread seeking advice from the experts up north. Has Gardyloo left on his RTW trip?

BTW, Jessica, thanks for your Italy trip report. I'm trying to put a similar trip on the books for next year.

<<..if you don't do Oregon this trip, you must come back and spend time in this beautiful state. The Oregon Coast is gorgeous, I prefer the northern coast.

Portland is also a beautiful city and not to be missed. This summer we will be traveling from Portland..>>

Sounds like you live here, kim. Have you moved?

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM

beachbum- didnt mean to steer anyone away from Oregon -
Just want them to do justice to Oregon when they do come .
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Was just joking, sunbum; shoulda done one of these: ;-)
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM

beachbum- I knew you were just joking-

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Oh ,no! I feel torn between Washington and Oregon!

How about doing a day trip to San Juans and not spending the night there? Would I be missing something? Would it be better to spend 2 evenings in Victoria and 5 in Seattle? Should I stay in Vancouver?

I could still do Portland! I didn't want to leave out Oregon, but it sounded like it might be too much???

kim - how many nights is your Portland to Seattle trip???

I was thinking about keeping the car for any day-trips from Seattle? Not a good idea??

I've now confused myself! ha!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I must disagree, cars on ferries aren't a hassle, you just drive 'em on! It's done ALL the time. Yes there may be waiting lines in the summer season on peak times/days.

Problem with San Juans as a day trip from Seatle it takes maybe 3 hrs. to get there, unless you go by float plane (uh-oh, another alternative!).

And actually I LOVE the Oregon coast, I wasn't trying to steer you away from it. Just that you couldn't hardly do ALL of what you originally were considering. Something's gotta give.

Everyone's different. Personally I do not care for the rain forests on the Peninsula, for instance, which people make such a fuss over. Have yet to visit Mt St Helen (though I've seen it from a plane).

I'm not a big fan of Victoria either, although it is certainly quaint and unique for this area.

Vancouver is a beautiful big city. Difference being I can confidently say you can see all of Cannon Beach in a day or two, where that is not true of Vancouver for obvious reasons.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

suze - your not a big fan of Victoria? Uh, oh. I was thinking this would be a great place b/c my Mom is really big into gardening?? Am I wrong? I was imagining doing some bicycling, touring gardens, etc?

Are the San Juans a "must"?

I was thinking of either doing Vancouver OR Victoria? which one?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -