Search

Short Term Car Insurance in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Term Car Insurance in Hawaii?

Hi,

My cousin offers us his SUV for use in Maui. (He's a mainlander but goes out to Maui now and then to surf and hang out at his place.)

Anyone know of a place where we can buy insurance for 1 week in Maui, just to be safe? Any credit cards offer this type of insurance--something like baggage insurance?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 01:02 AM

I don't know if this can be done...I think in Hawaii you have to be on title to get insurance on that car. Have you checked with your own insurance agent? 0ur policy covers us in other people's cars.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, lcuy, for your response. My car insurance has high deductible, so it may not be too useful for this short usage. I'm hoping to buy some insurance that costs like $10 per day.

Anyone know if any credit card offers this type of insurance?

Else we might just rent a car and not use my cousin's.

Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM

If you have insurance and he has insurance, why is an additional policy necessary?
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM

You can certainly buy short-term car insurance from almost any travel insurance company, but the interesting question you raise is whether this insurance works for a borrowed rather than a rented car. And I just don't know the answer. You might call one of the big travel insurance companies like Travel Guard to see if their collision-damage waiver covers you in such a circumstance.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM

Cars are insured, not people (although they do make rate adjustments for who is driving the car, as in new drivers). So your auto insurance means nothing for the Maui car. His car insurance is the one that covers his car and anyone who is driving it.

A credit card is not going to do anything since you are not using it for anything related to the car - you are borrowing not renting it - and even if you paid your cousin, I doubt he takes credit cards.

The place to start is with HIS auto insurer - and see if there is a temporary way to lower deductible and/or increase insurance for a week. Stress you are BORROWING the car for a week - if any money changes hands it will likely void his policy completely since he then is becoming a car rentor.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM

If you're borrowing the car with his permission his insurance covers you. You could offer to pay his cost for the week - and naturally pick up any out of pocket if you h ve an accident.