travel insurance - 4WD SUV coverage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am renting a 4WD SUV in AK (for my winter vacation). Looking for a travel insurance policy that covers this type of vehicle. Checked a few insurance companies, they either don't cover 4WD or not sure...
Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:12 AM

You own personal auto policy should cover this...call them and ask.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

I try not to use my own insurance for a rental car (or whenever I have a chance) - just to minimize the chance of raising my regular insurance's rate. You never know when a accident would occur.

AccessAmerica covers 4WD vehicles that are not mounted on a truck chasis.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM

I'm not an insurance expert but it is my understanding that your strategy of having another insurance policy so an accident won't effect your regular policy rates won't work. The insurance companies run a data clearinghouse operation so if you have an accident claim on any insurance policy, it shows up on your record and is accessable by your regular insurance company. Ditto if you get a traffic ticket. It doesn't matter if you get it in your home state or another state, your insurance company will still be able to find it.

If you will venture into Canada from Alaska with your rental vehicle, you also need a Canadian Insurance card which you can obtain from your regular agent.

You might check with your regular agent to see if I'm correct. It would save the extra expense of another policy.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:40 AM

"AccessAmerica covers 4WD vehicles that are not mounted on a truck chasis."

Beware of this fact. We once bought a company car which was a GMC Jimmy -- smaller than several of the vans and SUV's we had previously. Our insurance nearly quadrupled (yes!). It ended up because it was a GMC it was a "truck" not a "car" and corporate owned trucks cost four times what corporate owned cars do -- at least according to our State Farm policy. According to them GMC only makes trucks, not cars. I had to sell the car to myself and insure it myself to get the cost reduced.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

Hello 2fly, dwooddons advise to you is correct. I had an independant insurance agency for years, thus my comment.

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:40 PM

However, I do have it on very good authority that if you total a rental car in Wales and it's your fault, that word doesn't get passed back to your insurance company in the states.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:27 PM

LOL Patrick, that is so true evidently!! I know the situation wasn't funny but I do enjoy your humor about it.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM

Yep - as far as I know there is no international exchange of information on insurance claims or traffic history. The points I made applied only to the USA.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Although under normal circumstances, I don't recommend it, you could accept the rental car insurance in this instance. It might be the best option if you don't want to fall back on your own insurance. Plus, even if you did, you might want to double check: I believe neither my personal insurance nor my credit cards will cover certain classes of vehicles including 4WD vehicles.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Good discussion. And I made another safe trip. Still like to know more about the insurance deal.

If a damage was made, no injury - for instance hit-n-run in my absence, I used the seperate insurance to pay the $1000 body job on my rental car, would it affect my regular insurance rate? I checked with Auto Club, didn't get a clear answer. I was told if less than $750 repair and not my fault, I would be fine. Other than that, ummm.... don't know...

P.S. At least with my credit cards, the auto coverage is only secondary, so are some other coverages for the trip...

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 03:30 PM

If you don't file a claim with your auto insurance company and you are not cited/ticketed for something you did wrong, I would not see how it could possibly affect your insurance rate. How would they even know about it in this case?
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Hi 2dly if you have a "no fault" accident, the other party was cited and you were not, or if your vehicle is damaged by a hit and run driver (be sure to make a police report) you should not be charged for either by your insurance company as in neither case would this be an "at fault" accident. Your insurance company should be able to give you definite answers. Read your boring insurance policy also..and they are boring..but they are a legal contract between you and your insurance company.