Travel Insurance

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:11 AM
gullu

Travel Insurance

Do you people take travel insurance when travelling to Europe? Any recommendations?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:41 AM
always

I live in Europe, but I would never travel abroad (anywhere in the world) without one. It pays possible doctor´s fees, hospital payments and lost luggage. I know a person who was in a bad car accident on her holiday, and insurance company payed her hospital (over a month) and also her flight home. Another one was also in a car accident, and insurance company sent a private plane with a doctor and nurse to get her home, because her injuries where such that she could get better tratment in a hospital here than in her holiday destination.

I have needed my insurance (I have one that is always valid, because I travel a lot) only twice when I have needed a doctor for minor illnesses.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:40 AM
gullu

Thanks. Can you please tell me which company you bought the insurance from? I have a medical/health insurance here in the US. But I think I should get a travellers insurance on top of that.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:26 AM
always

travel insurance
https://www.worldtrips.com/quotes/de...rid=99328-0003

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Sick

Gullu--I don't know your age, but if you are on Medicare, be aware it doesn't cover you in most foreign countries. So you will need to purchase other insurance to get coverage.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Mia

If you are a AAA member, you can get it through them also.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:28 AM
gullu

I am 31. My wife is 29. We have the EPO medical insurance (fine in the network, screwed outside the network!!!).

Any way thanks for the tips. I had no idea AAA offers travel insurance. I am a member, I will check with them.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:59 AM
my

My travel insurance (the one that is always valid, so I am always ready to go) is from a company named European. But I am sure American insurance companies offer many different insurances.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:47 PM
susan

Make sure you understand what you are purchasing when you purchase travel insurance. I purchase it when I am out of pocket a bit and because I know I have a health situation that will cause me problems in the future.

If you do not purchase your items from a travel agency -- you purchase directly from the tour operator -- you will probably not be covered if it goes under -- I checked this with about 5 companies that I looked at last time. Also preexisting medical conditions are only covered if the insurance is purchased about the same time as the other stuff -- you usually have 10-14 days to purchase it.

Read the fine print -- it will tell you what is covered and what is not covered.

When all was said and done, I used Access America for this trip. But it pays to shop around -- Coverage and cost can vary significantly

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Sue

I have purchased TravelGuard and Access America (which is the insurance available at AAA, as well as elsewhere), but I've only had to use Access America, and they were quite responsive and helpful. (Imagine me calling them from a pay phone outside the hospital financial office and asking them to call that office back immediately because the woman was in and was not authorized to make foreign calls--and they did and were able to guarantee payment!)