Planning 20 days in USA, I am clueless

Old Apr 13th, 2016, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning 20 days in USA, I am clueless

Hi
I have a conference in Las Vegas from 4 August - 7 August (maybe I can skip 1st day) so I am taking the chance to visit USA for the first time. Some things about the trip I would like to make:
The departure point will be Sydney on 30 July. The goal is to spend ~20 days in USA for vacation (except 3-4 days for the conference). After that, the final destination is Greece around the 21st of August.

Some things about me:
I will be solo so there are high chances of boredom (my spouse can't join me due to work)
I don't really care about museums.
I won't rent a car so I will be relying on public transportation and organised tours (I absolutely love hop on hop off buses on big cities).
I will be carrying a 30kg bag which makes it quite difficult to move around unfortunately.
All in all, I would like to find a decent itinerary to see as much as possible in these 20 days (excluding the conference days).

31 - 3 August: My initial thought is to visit San Fransisco for 2-3 days (hop on hop off, Silicon Valley etc.) and get 1 day/night in Yosemite.
3 - 7 August: From Yosemite, I will take transportation to Las Vegas for the conference.
8 - 11 August: After the conference is done I will continue living in the same Las Vegas Hotel, in order to make daily tours towards Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon or something similar.
11-15 August: Transportation from LV to Los Angeles (while taking a look at mojave desert). I plan to mostly use hop on hop off to check all different neighbourhoods of LA (Santa Monica, Hollywood, Beverly Hills etc.) and spend 1 day at Universal Studios.
15-20 August: New York. Everyone tells me that New York is a giant city so 5 days sound good for solo traveling NY.

My main questions are:
Is the plan above feasible? Is it insane or naive?
Am I missing something very important or must-see?
If someone can provide a different itinerary, different trips, ideas or hints/tips, it would be much appreciated.

I apologise for the long question; I am planning a long trip and I am clueless + inexperienced.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 05:45 AM

nilminus: I have several questions:

When you say "transportation" are you amenable to flying at all?

Do you mean to take a hop on hop off bus in Los Angeles each day you are there or just one day and public transportation the rest of the time?

What public transportation do you plan to take from Yosemite to Las Vegas? Have you researched the options and timetables?

What is it in Los Angeles you are wishing to see specifically, other than Universal Studios? Where do you plan to stay?

What is your budget for the 20 days?

If you can answer these questions you may get better answers and more itinerary help.

Your Las Vegas plan isn't feasible for driving each day to the different national parks.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you reconsider the "no driving"? The US transport system has been designed around driving and flying. Public transport, aside from a few cities like New York and San Francisco, is abysmal.

You can find info on using long distance trains here:

http://seat61.com/UnitedStates.htm

There was a thread here recently on visiting LA without a car - do a search.

You can visit the North rim of the Grand Canyon without a car, but you would need a tour for the others, and they would not be day trips from Las Vegas. Several companies run tours of the western US, but the price points differ widely.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 06:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You definitely don't need a car in San Francisco nor in Las Vegas. Los Angeles is semi-doable by public transport but not by H-o-H-o bus.

There are tours to Yosemite from SF -- but perhaps a better option is to take Amtrak from SF to Merced than the local YARTS bus to Yosemite. . Stay 2 nights (one night is useless since it takes several hours just getting there) Then take YARTS to Fresno and fly from FAT to Las Vegas on Allegiant.

(tomfuller is going to faint when he sees this tom is a fodorite who always recommends trains and Allegiant airlines)

There are various tours out of Las Vegas so while not optimal, you can see the National Parks without driving.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 06:30 AM

Problems I see with this itinerary:

1) You plan to spend one night in Yosemite, in August -- when the place will be JAMMED with visitors. It might already be too late to get lodging within the Valley, and lodging just outside the park will be booked weeks, if not months, ahead of time. It is POSSIBLE to visit Yosemite from SF, with one overnight stay, but you will have to plan WAY in advance.

2) As noted above, how do you plan to get from Yosemite to Las Vegas? It can be done in four days, but you will probably have to get back to the Bay Area, then fly from there into Vegas.

3) If you go from Las Vegas to LA, your "view" of the Mojave Desert will either be from a plane or a bus.

4) Not a problem, but definitely a suggestion: if you plan to take a day trip from Vegas to the Grand Canyon, be 100% certain that your trip takes you to the NATIONAL PARK, but NOT to the West Rim with its Skywalk. The latter shows how free enterprise "handles" natural beauty, the former shows how government does so -- and the former is FAR superior.
4A) Which leads to this problem: day trips from Vegas to the national park are usually inadequate, as an overnight stay is FAR superior. But, like Yosemite, lodging in The Canyon in August is sold out weeks in advance. If you can arrange one night of lodging near the South Rim of the Canyon, then arrange transportation between Vegas & there, your trip will be far more enjoyable.

5) Hop on, hop off tours in LA are problematic for the simple reason that, area-wise, the place is HUGE. You may wish to read up on what you want to visit in the area, then just go those places on your own, using LA mass transit -- which is MUCH better than it used to be, but is still problematic.

One last thing, mainly to reassure you about a problem you foresee but WON'T happen:
> I will be solo so there are high chances of boredom
I've done a LOT of solo travel in my 33 years of marriage, and places like Yosemite and the Grand Canyon don't leave me bored -- they make me (1) wish my wife was there and (2) start to plan my return trip when we can go as a couple.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 07:00 AM

You'll do fine in San Francisco and Las Vegas without a car. I can't imagine what you'd want to see as a tourist in Silicon Valley (there are scant few things to appeal to tourists there, and you won't be able to get to the various IT company campuses without a car). You can certainly visit Los Angeles without a car, but it's more challenging and you have to plan very carefully.

You can take guided bus tours of the west that include visits to several national parks as well as other destinations (perhaps you'd want to consider one of those ... some Australian friends did a 2-week tour and enjoyed it). But I don't think it's very practical to go all the way from San Francisco to Yosemite for just one overnight if you are relying on bus and other forms of public transportation. I'm sure there are companies that do day tours to Zion and the like, but it seems like an awful lot of bus travel and very little time spent in the parks. I'd probably prefer a longer tour even if it were more expensive.

Finally, I'd urge (beg you even) to consider taking less luggage. Do laundry if you need to, but you will not enjoy all this travel as much if you are carrying a gigantic 60-pound suitcase. That's REALLY big. I've never traveled with that much luggage in my entire life, even when I did an 8-week summer program in Europe during college.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 07:26 AM

I didn't even address the luggage issue -- 30 kilo is insane. Unless it includes display materials for the conference that is probably 20 kilo more than anyone needs.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 07:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, cut back to a 22kg bag. If you need a little more, get a small backpack.
Your best option to get to Yosemite from San Francisco is to get to Oakland Jack London station to ride the Amtrak San Joaquin (712) to either Merced or to Fresno and ride the YARTS bus into Yosemite.
If you go by the Merced route, you can stay at the Yosemite BUG hostel which has a YARTS bus stop at the foot of the driveway.
It is easier to get from Yosemite to Los Angeles by taking the San Joaquin from Merced or Fresno to Bakersfield and then the Amtrak bus to Los Angeles Union Station. From LAUS you can get one of the two daily Amtrak buses to Las Vegas.
Your other option to get to the Grand Canyon (South Rim) would be to ride the Amtrak SW Chief to Williams Jct and take the Grand Canyon Railroad north (or a tour bus).
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 08:19 AM

and you won't be able to get to the various IT company campuses without a car

and even if you could, you wouldn't be allowed in.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Five days for NYC is enough to see many of the major sights but August is not a cheap time of year so I would start looking now for hotels. Public transit within the city is very easy (feet and subway are best) but with that humongous suitcase you will need to take a cab or car service to and from the airports at $70 to $80 each depending on which airport (EWR will cost more than JFK or LGA). There are public transit options but not realistic with a bag that huge since in some places there will be stairs - possibly 2 or 3 flights.

Also not sure about your hotel budget , but NYC is not inexpensive.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 11:12 AM

The Yosemite Bug is a good suggestion, but you need to do at least 3 nights if you stay there. Not only is Yosemite probably MUCH larger than you're imagining, and the crowds are intense...the commute from the Bug to the park is not inconsiderable. Two nights would be necessary but 3 would be preferable.

I like Hop on hop off too, but LA's is pretty much impossible. Do transit. It's 2 or 3 different loops from what I remember and the loops much longer than they do elsewhere.

I'd probably just do a few days at GC and skip the others. Well, actually, I'd skip that portion. I'd do another city you can fly into- San Diego or Santa Fe or Santa Barbara or maybe even Seattle.

I don't know. I understand what you are trying to do, but I think you should leave the NPs (except maybe GC and Yosemite if you have extra days) until you can come back with a car. You're going to spend more time in buses than sightseeing!
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 11:22 AM

You know, given the Austalians I've met, I bet you fly into LAX first. Do LA. Then go to Vegas. For the conference. Then do an overnight to Grand Canyon. Go back to Vegas, fly to SF. Do two nights in Yosemite if you can get lodging. Then go somewhere to fly out to NYC.

So 31-3: LA.
4-7:Vegas
8-10: Grand Canyon
11-13: SF
14-16: Yosemite
16-20: NYC
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 11:30 AM

I agree, I think you can do things without a car, except national parks aren't really good without a car.

I don't see major issues with a 30 kg suitcase, except if you planned to walk long distances with it, and that wouldn't be likely anywhere, I can't think of why you would. That is just over the usual airline limit for one bag (26 kg) and my one bag is often close to that limit and I manage fine when traveling, even on buses, trains, etc. That's just a 24-25 inch bag packed fairly full with clothes and a couple pair of shoes and a few toiletries. And yes, I manage that on a few stairs for trains or in the metro, etc. I presume the OP is stronger than I am, a middle-aged female. You only need to move it upon arrival and departure to a hotel. And in the US, you aren't usually taking metro or buses from the airport, anyway, although you can in a few situations.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 12:46 PM

I think marvelousmouse has outlined a doable itinerary, though it doesn't allow much time for sightseeing when you subtract the amount of time it takes to get to the airport, fly, get from the airport to you new destination then do it again two days later.

I just can't imagine what you will bring that will weigh 30kg. I am 6'3" and weigh 15 stone, and I can take everything for a trip to Europe of similar length including extra size 14 shoes in 32 lbs and a small carryon. All my British friends and relations have these vast cases and it makes their lives very difficult her in the US.

You are leaving Australia in late winter. It is going to be hot everywhere you are going except San Francisco and Yosemite at night. Unless you are staying on in Greece for some time into the fall, it will be hot there as well. You are just not going to need a lot of heavy clothing.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 01:23 PM

Christina may think 30 kilo is no big deal -- but it s a HUGE deal
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 01:41 PM

Just wanted to chime in that Sillicon Valley isn't a place you visit. It's out of the way, for one thing. Do you have an invitation to one of the campuses, maybe? Without that, there's nothing for you to see.

Also want to agree with Christina that the bag situation doesn't seem a huge deal at all. I might prefer a smaller bag, but to each his own.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 03:26 PM

The way I see the weight issue (my sisters travel with baggage like that):

It's fine if you aren't necessarily a budget traveler. A lot of expensive hotels have no laundry facilities anyway. And those hotels always have bellhops if you need a bit of extra help. Which it sounds to me like you think you would. Taxis or a personal car are usually the best option. Think more money, more convenience.

It's a huge hassle if you want to be dependent on buses especially. Trains sometimes. You need to be able to lift it, hopefully carry it up the stairs occasionally. It may need to fit in tight spaces. A lot of luggage lockers (like at a hostel) WILL NOT fit a larger bag. (That's never bothered me- feel free to steal my underwear) but I've seen that it has bothered many hostel roommates because they see their luggage as vulnerable.

When it impacts your actual itinerary, you have a problem. And your plan of staying in Vegas or SF and seeing the NPs is problematic- and rooted in partly the luggage thing and partly your wish not to rent a car. So I think you need to address at least one of those.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 05:02 PM

Sorry - but I disagree about hotels doing laundry. I have yet to find a hotel that won;t do laundry for you - we have done it in many places in order to avoid taking such huge bags. Granted they aren't cheap - but you need to choose between convenience and cost.

If part of the reason for the huge bags is things that you need for the conference I would just put that stuff in a separate bag going over (or ship it to the hotel) and then send it back home afterwards.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 05:04 PM

Sorry - I can understand the need for 2 wardrobes since I used to do a lot of business meetings, some with vacation afterward - and I still managed to get everything into a 25 or 26" suitcase (but did have the hotels do some laundry for me).
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 05:29 PM

No one is wearing business suits . . . in Las Vegas . . . In August. Most likely the conference is very (probably VERY) casual.

No need for a boat load of luggage/clothing

(and FWIIW-- many small hotels/B&Bs do not provide laundry service - still no reason for 65 lb of stuff)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -