Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planing a snowmobiling adventure in Minnesota--please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 11:47 AM
E.

My sister-in-law, a lifelong Floridian, is visiting us newly-transplanted Minnesotans after the holidays and would LOVE to go snowmobiling. I am just starting to research this and would appreciate any ideas you can give me... we would be 4 adults, no kids, and we live about an hour south of the Twin Cities. I haven't decided yet if we'd do a day trip from home, or try to go to a resort or lodge for a couple of days where snowmobiling and maybe snowshoeing and Xcountry would be available. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Cali

I would strongly recommend that you go up to the Gunflint Trail (about 5 hours from Mpls. near Grand Marais) and stay at one of the many lodges and snowmobile and x-country ski and enjoy the snow. If this winter is like some recent winters that may be the only area that has enough snow to really snowmobile and x-country ski. You could also go to Lutsen which is about 18 miles south of Grand Marais and there are many places to stay and lots of winter activities. Enjoy!!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:00 PM
E.

Thanks so much, Cali! My post sank under the weight of all the NYC posts... we will probably take your advice, but does anyone else have any ideas or opinions? Does anyone know of a snowmobile rental outfit near, say, Faribault? The Sakatah trail is quite nearby... And cali, do you have any specific favorite places to stay near Grand Marais or Lutsen? Thanks again!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Jodi

How about the Brainerd area? The explore MN site has a ton of info on snowmobiling.

http://www.exploreminnesota.com/inde...=Feature&id=10

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:17 PM
Cali

We like Gunflint Lodge if we are going up on the Gunflint Trail. They have a lot of activities and pretty much always have snow - even when other areas in MN don't. There are many other lodges in the area and have heard good things about others but haven't stayed there. Also have stayed at the Best Western Superior Inn in Grand Marais and it is nice. If you go to Lutsen, there are condos/motels/hotels at what used to be called "The Village" but I don't know the new name. I think you could look under Lutsen and find something. Also can stay at Lutsen Resort which is the oldest resort in MN. It is right on Lake Superior and is a Swedish Style Lodge. They also have Sea Villas down the road a little while and they are newer. There are lots of activities in Lutsen too as the main ski hill in the area is there and they have lots going on. You might look under Grand Marais, MN and they should have a website with names of lodges, etc. Also can do the same for Lutsen-Tofte. I will look too and if I can get the site, will let you know. Have fun!!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:52 PM
Cali

I did a little research tonight and found the following websites: grandmaraismn.com
gunflintlodge.com
lutsen.com

The Grand Marais site lists a lot of different lodging, both in Grand Marais and on the Gunflint Trail - however Gunflint Lodge was not on that site.

The Lutsen site is for the Lutsen Mtn. Ski Area but lists lodges and resorts in the area. The place I was referring to called "The Village" is now called Caribou Highlands". Hope this helps.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:11 AM
E.

Cali, you are fantastic! Thanks so very much!!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 03:07 AM
loangalsal

The area you are considering is truly beautiful, but we stayed at Caribou Highlands this summer and were not impressed. It is getting pretty beat up and the first room we got smelled so much like smoke we asked for another room. They said they had none but would deodorize this one. Then we went back after lunch and it was so heavily perfumed we couldn't stand it. We went to check out to find somewhere else to stay and majically they found us another room. It was much better, but not very clean. So, I would find somewhere else to stay but you will love the area.