Reload this Page >

Carmines-NYC-reservations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:08 AM
Jean

Any opinions on Carmines for a group with picky teens? Is it possible to make reservations, which are honored?

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:44 AM
lisa

They only take reservations for 6 or more. Even so, you will have to wait.

I don't know how picky your teens are, but the food there is served family style, so everyone will have to agree on a few dishes. The sauce is very garlic-y, so if they don't like it, don't go. I like the food -- traditional, red-sauce Italian. I think the fried calamari is particularly good.

If that won't work for them, why not John's Pizza down the street? They have good pies, some pasta and yummy salad.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:51 AM
z

I believe the teens will like the ambiance at Carmines - always crowded and always noisy. 6 or more in the party for a reservation. Service is family style so one main course for two people would be more than adequate

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:01 AM
xxx

Becco is superior to Carmines.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:48 AM
of course

Well, duh!!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:52 AM
Luigi

Chef Boy ar dee is better than Carmines.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:09 PM
Statia

Although Carmine's doesn't take reservations for parties of less than 6, we have been told what time we could return to be seated (when there was a wait). I was pleasantly surprised upon our return when our table was ready immediately when they said it would be. So, that might be another option if you don't want to sit there and wait.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:17 PM
z

xxx ([email protected]) writes "Becco is superior to Carmines". I don't think there are many people out there who don't know that.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Jean

Guess I'm the "Duh," but I'm not from NYC and haven't heard of Beccos.

Please fill me in. Appropriate for a group of 12 with teens? Outrageous prices? And WHERE is it?

Please don't assume people asking questions know what's available or they probably wouldn't need to ask.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:44 PM
Ellen

The John's Pizza in a renovated church on W.44th Street is a popular favorite.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:01 PM
Lisa

We just went to Thanksgiving dinner at Carmines. We had 4 adults, 4 picky teens and nine year old. We all loved the food and the service. The price was right as well!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:29 PM
Patrick

While I'm a big fan of Becco, and not a fan of Carmines, I think most "picky" teens would prefer Carmines to Becco.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:36 AM
Larry

Going to NYC Saturday...where is Becco's located and what i the price range...

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Patrick

Becco is at 355 West 46th between 8th and 9th. Phone is 212-397-7597 and you'll need to make reservations.
It is very modestly priced -- much of the attraction, with a wonderfully priced wine list. The big deal is the unlimited pasta -- they have three pastas of the day and serve them to you at your table from big skillets. I'm not sure of the price now, but about $21.95. Anyone? They used to do a seafood antipasta combination with the unlimited pasta as well, but I think that has changed.