grand marais in winter

Search

grand marais in winter

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grand marais in winter

Looking for definite snow for some snowmobiling in January and Grand Marais or Lutsen look pretty good. Looks like there are several cabins that have trails right at your door, but which ones are the best? Anyone have any comments about some of them? Never been to this area before and would appreciate any insight about lodging, restaurants, trails for snowmobiling and other winter activities.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:15 PM

riddlekitty2, I think you may get more replies on this question at TripAdvisor.

Keith
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:57 PM

There are many groomed snowmobiling trails both in the Grand Marais, Lutsen and Gunflint Trail Area. All 3 have websites that might help you. Wish I had them handy and I would give them to you. I will look later this evening and try to post them. We always see lots of snowmobiles when we are at the Landing Restaurant at Devils Track Lake. They also have condos and rooms in their lodge and a great restaurant. They are connected to all the snowmobile trails above Grand Marais and up the Gunflint Trail. Bope this helps and I will try to get the websites for you.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:48 AM

Just realized from Cali's reply, that you aren't even in the state I thought you were. You are looking at Grand Marais, Minn, not Grand Marais, Michigan.

Keith
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM

I promised I would get a couple websites for you and here they are:
gunflint-trail.com
Go to winter and then snowmobiling

northshorevisitor.com/winter

sleddogs.com

Hope these help a little. Have fun!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Those were some informative websites. Got a question though, Looks like we have to fly into Duluth, MN - are the roads decent that time of year to drive like 25-50 miles up to Grand Marais? We live in Atlanta (you know we are not skilled at driving in the snow!) Or are there some places in or near Duluth to snowmobile?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM

Agree with Cali's comments - all three areas would be great for what you want. We've spent some time skiing in the winter, but always stay in Grand Marais. Thomsonite Beach Inn, just outside of town toward Lutsen is one of our favorites. Right on the Lake and very nice accommodations and owners. We also liked Gunflint Lodge (great for snowmobiling and excellent restaurant), but it would be about an hour's drive to Lutsen for skiing.

There was a great discussion on here this past summer about restaurants, etc. Search "CAPH" for her thread.

As far as the drive goes, it's closer to 110 mi from Duluth to Grand Marais, but the roads are well maintained. The only time we had a problem was a few years ago when it snowed over 30 " the night before we were to leave GM. It took us quite a bit longer for that drive, but we still had no major problems. [Minnesotans do know how to deal with snow and their roads are usually in very good shape]. And FWIW, we're from south Texas so we're not exactly used to the white stuff - but still haven't encountered any real difficulties.

We always fly into MSP and rent a car from there. Duluth is certainly closer (by about 3 - 4 hours) and more convenient, but the fares can be more expensive since it's such a small airport.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM

20 years ago, I'd have said that Grand Marias would be great for snow activities. 10 years ago I would have said it too. Last year the John Beargrease sled dog race was canceled for lack of snow. Who would have thought of that? Our winters "Up North" have been changing and now we aren't so sure about winter snow. Our local sled dog races have seen a change of course because of lack of snow when they haven't been outright canceled. All that being said, Grand Marias has about the best chance of having snow in January of anywhere in Minnesota.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:24 PM

It is 110 mi from Duluth to Grand Marais. The roads are kept in good shape unless you happen to be there during a snowstorm or ice storm. Both of which have been rare in the past few years. The Gunflint Trail has had the most snow in MN in the past few winters. Gunflint Lodge is also a great place. Pricey but nice. We always fly into Mpls. and drive from there but the drive from Duluth would be 2-1/2 to 3 hours shorter. Weather people have said MN should get more snow this winter so it might be a great winter to snowmobile. They do groom the trails even in bad snow years so they keep snowmobiling. Have a good trip.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM

This may be the thread dfr meant. I think I had three going at one time, so I'm not sure. But there is restaurant talk in this one!

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35030018

I envy you! We loved the North Shore. I think it'd be fantastic to visit in the winter.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:28 AM

I'm quite fond of "My Sister's Place". GREAT burgers,hotdogs, chicken, and "The World's Smallest Sundae". 'Haystack' type onion rings, and good soups. If you're up *with* your sister, get your picture taken for the wall
The restaurant is run by two sisters.
We're known for our concept of "Minnesota Nice" here. Hope you find that to be true and you enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:05 AM

We liked My Sister's Place too. My trip report was long. And, of course, written about a summer trip. But I put in pretty much detail about restaurants. If you're interested, it's "A Big Campus, A Great Lake and a Mighty River".
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Just for the record, "My Sisters Place" is no longer run by two sisters but is still just as good. It has been owned by another couple for about 2 years. Still a great place!!
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information, have called a few places and after all that research - Have actually started looking at Upper Wisconsin.
It just doesn't seem as remote.
(sorry Minnesota Lovers) Any of you guys ever cross over from Duluth and check out Bayfield County area? Just curious.
Thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM

You don't have to go all the way up to Grand Marais to snowmobile etc on the North Shore. There's a bunch of good accomodation in Two Harbors about 30 mins North Of Duluth. The one that I know that has good snowmobile trail access is Grand Superior Lodge in Castle Danger. The Northshore trail is easily accessible from there. You could ride all the way from there to Ely if you wanted to. You can rent sleds locally.

www.grandsuperior.com