Plane ticket advice needed (m)

Apr 19th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Plane ticket advice needed (m)

As you probably know, I am on the fence of whether we should go to Arizona in August, as per my earlier post. Well, I have been checking airfare almost daily, and it is about $313 from NJ/NYC. Then, two days ago, I was looking, and it was $184 (includes tax!) round trip. Since I am still debating whether to go, I didn't jump on it and I figured I'd make the decision when I get home from work. Well, after two hours, before lunch time, the price went back up to over $300!! Now I am kind of bummed that I didn't jump on it. Do you think it will go back down to that price? From what I see, there are lots of empty flights, and it doesn't seem like anyone would really want to go to Phoenix at that time. Thanks!
Apr 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM
TheWeasel

It seems unlikely, given the projected cost of fuel this summer, that you'll find much of a bargain.

More importantly, I think you need to decide if this is the vacation you want to do, and then go about finding a good airfare.

Apr 19th, 2006, 07:43 AM

The short answer is you should be able to find a fare much closer to two hundred than three hundred sometime before your trip, but, that is a guess. Airlines, as all know, change fares often. A quick check on Yahoo travel this morning shows current bottom pricing on NYC to Phoenix at about two hundred and fifty, everything included.
Apr 19th, 2006, 07:47 AM

They have been saying over the news that most major airlines will be raising their prices due to the price of gas and cutting back in flights.
Apr 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Try Southwest Airlines. They do not book thru any of the sites so you have to go their own website to book. Their flights from Islip, LI will be the cheapest around. Jet Blue also does a cheap redeye.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:02 PM

On what airlines did you find $184??? I, too had been waitng and waitng to book from EWR to PHX since February. I watched it at around $313. Then it when down to $268 and I hesitated and lost that fare......watched it some more, then finally bought it at $288, plus tax. Total, $306. I purchased around MArch 20th.
I hated paying that much, but I really felt it was only going to go up. This is for July 25 to August 3. I watched all the travel sights,and continually checked Continental and Americawest.
Now I'm seeing it at $298 plus tax. My gut feeling is that it will not go down, but I guess you really never know!
Apr 24th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Southwest can do LaGuardia to Phx RT from $316. Move your plans to Islip to Phx and the RT fare drops dramatically to $200. No, that's not a typo.
Apr 24th, 2006, 08:33 AM
GoTravel

Plenty of people go to Arizona in August, one of my co-workers for one.

I'm thinking your fare will be closer to $300 than $200 due to the price increases the airlines are getting ready to impliment.

For what its worth, I'm also jockying for cheap airfare to Tortolla. Yikes!

Apr 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM

GoTravel, I hope you are doing a flight to STT, then ferry to Tortola. MUCH better all round. Maxine, you should kick yourself then fix a strong drink after not jumping on anything less than 200. I just bought our flights to Europe- 6 weeks out, they dipped EVER so slightly at 1200 (SDF to Zurich) today they are way above that. They are 300 higher than same time last year. Theses prices make me ILL, there are so many who cannot afford to travel at all. FIGHT the oil companies and write to GeorgeW, good luck.
Apr 24th, 2006, 08:53 AM

I just entered some dates on Sidestep went 8/12/2006 to 8/19/2006 best rate came up on ATA out of Laguardia. I'm not familiar with NYC airports like which is easier to get in and out. Anyway came up with $ 253 not the best but different dates maybe less. Another thing is Southwest has what they call a ding program you can download. They notify almost daily of bargain fares as they try to fill the plane. The drawback is they usually only cover a 30 day time frame. Kayak will also search the web and I believe Mobissimo is another.
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Go Travel: We got very low fares from NYC to St. Thomas via Spirit Airlines when we went christmas week. It is very easy to take a ferry from st. thomas to tortola.
Apr 25th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Chicagokris... I saw it on a Monday morning on American Airlines for $184 with tax. I did the math and it really comes out to $69 each way before tax. I should have booked it. Oh well. Good luck on your search.
Apr 25th, 2006, 10:01 AM
GoTravel

Sorry to hijack the thread Maxine!

The problem I'm having is any flight that gets into STT in time for me to make the ferry to Tortola is $1,000. Are there any ferries after 4:30PM?