how do i get cheap airline flights ?

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i get cheap airline flights ?

Hi, is it true that airlines change their fares on certain days, or hours of the day? What day should I check the airlines websites to get the best fares? Thanks
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Hi Millie, I think that it is Tues nights, as late as possible (after midnight), I am not sure, but maybe others could be more specific?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:44 PM

Judyrem is right. At 12:00 AM Wednesday morning the airlines post their sale fares.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:48 PM
JJL

I have noticed airlines changing prices depending on the day of the week. As Judyrem stated Tuesdays generally seem to have low airfares.

However, I also recently had the problem of finding low airfares and quickly solved this problem in the end saving hundreds of dollars per ticket. The way I found a low fare was using numerous web sites such as Orbitz that allow you to find the date of travel with the lowest fare. I additionally used Expedia travel to check fares at numerous airlines. From this I would watch when airline fares seemed low and over a few days see if they would go up or down lower. Thus ensuring that I would receive the lowest airfare possible. Following this knowledge on the market I could ensure what date has the lowest fares as well as knowing if the airfare truly is the lowest.

I personally, booked with America West Airlines for my trip; however, I think I would even check with the smaller carriers such as Southwest or JetBlue to ensure that the lowest fares are possible.

If you have any questions please post them.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:52 AM

I posted a similar question a couple of weeks ago and received some great advice. But I continue to find the best fares directly on the airline websites, no matter what the day of the week or season of the year. I find that you just have to shop around.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:31 AM

I fly extensively, and I am convinced that the airlines set their prices by shaking one of those Magic 8-balls while having their VP of Pricing's pet dog pick out treats from a bowl that are all numbered from $79 to $1479.

However, I have noticed some basic themes. On the non-discount airlines, prices tend to be lower if your trip is done OVER a Saturday night, i.e. a Friday to Monday trip is cheaper than a Wednesday to Friday trip. Early morning flights and redeye flights are often cheaper. Booking with two-week notice usually gives you a discount. On multi-city trips, cheaper to do it as two separate round trips than to book a trianglular, three-city trip. Some city's 'alternate' airports tend to be less expensive.

Best bets are the weekly fare sales, especially on the discount airlines, if you are willing to be flexible with your travel dates.

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 10:44 AM

hi, my strategy for this is basically over period of a few days checking all the websites i can find including:
orbitz
expedia
travelocity
trip.com
onetravel.com
delta, american, usair
jetblue
america west

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 03:24 PM
DB

See: