Pittsburgh for One Night

Search

Pittsburgh for One Night

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pittsburgh for One Night

Hi there. I am driving to Pittsburgh and staying over on a Saturday night.
Can anyone recommend a good place to stay (near downtown?)within walking distance to restaurants and bars? (I am travelling to Pittsburgh on an Ikea trip....)

Thanks In Advance!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:15 PM

This is a toughie. I am only writing to comment that the Ikea is in Robinson Township, a little bit of a haul from downtown Pittsburgh.

Where are you driving from? People that are more hip on the area can then recommend hotels on the way. If you're coming from north of Pittsburgh, staying in Downtown (maybe at the Sheraton Station Square?) would be on the way to Ikea.

I guess I don't "get" the concept of an Ikea trip-- then again, I have four within 30 miles of my home....
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:35 AM

Hi jmullins: There are other posts on here that go on & on about where the options are to go out in Pittsburgh - unfortunately, few hotels are in walking distance to the good areas for restaurants & bars. IMO, the best restaurant & bar areas are in the Strip District, Southside, and perhaps Shadyside...

For the Strip, there aren't really any hotels - you would want to stay in downtown, and you could walk it (longer, not exactly a scenic walk) or take a quick cab - would do priceline for a saturday night as you can usually get 4* hotels (e.g. Omni William Penn, Renaissance, Westin) for $55-70/night on a Saturday night - - - in fact, I'll be at the OWP this Saturday & got it for $55!

For the Southside, same as above - or you could opt to stay at Sheraton Station Square (Station Square also has restaurants & a few bars, but not as much fun & more touristy than the other areas). The Sheraton & Southside are across the river from downtown, and the Sheraton is really a long walk or a short cab ride to the bars/ restaurants on Carson St. in the Southside & the new Southside works 'neighborhood mall' (with a great Irish pub, I might add!)

Shadyside has bars/restaurants scattered most closely to Walnut St. There is a relatively new & very nice Courtyard Marriott in Shadyside, which I've gotten for cheap (cheaper than above) on priceline, but you can't be guaranteed to get that hotel bidding there so you might consider booking independently. That hotel is a short walk (maybe 6 blocks?) to Walnut St.

I'm assuming you will have a vehicle to park, in which case I would note that you'll generally have to pay for parking everywhere, though in downtown on the weekends I never have a problem parking on the street (free on evenings & sundays) particularly near the OWP.

So to summ up, my vote would be to stay downtown & focus your time on the Strip & maybe Southside...

Have fun on your Ikea trip - as a college student there, that was one of our favorite shopping excursions!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:46 AM

PS: I have to add that after your night of revelry you must consider a stop at primanti's for a late-night snack in the form of one of their famous (or infamous?) sandwiches....this is one of my favorite Pittsburgh treats! see www.primantibrothers.com for more info & pitures. Others on this board may disagree, but I love 'em!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 10:54 AM

try the new Holiday Inn Express/Southside(on 10th St.)...it is in a restored building...indoor pool,free bkfst--parking $9.00 a day....or the Morning Glory Inn (B&B) is on the southside too....