Search

Zocalo & Zona Rosa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zocalo & Zona Rosa

Going to mexico city in 2 weeks & am a bit confused. Which would be the better area to stay? Or are they the same?
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Zocalo is the central plaza with Aztec ruins & museos, cathedrals & in the heart of all. I would recommend The Hotel Majestic as a good option. Be sure & get a outside room. Zona Rosa is slick, glitzy with tons of high end hotels, cafés & shops. I purchased a wonderful leather brief case there for just under a 100 US that would have been at least twice that in San Francisco. My wife went GAGA over the high end shoe stores. I prefer the Zocalo area to stay but it kind of depends what you want. High end & expensive or moderate & historic.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM

As previous poster says, Zocalo is the historic heart of the city, a huge central plaza with many government buildings, ruins, downtown shopping etc. The hotels are mostly budget.

I wouldn't entirely agree with the characterization of the Zona Rosa as upscale and glitzy, full of luxury high-end hotels. There are some, to be sure, but the area as a whole has gotten a little seedy and rundown.

Another area to consider staying is Polanco/Chapultepac, where all the newer luxury hotels are, and tons of restaurants. You can also walk into Chapultepac and the many museums there. This is now my preferred area to stay.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Jed

What characteristics are you looking for which would make it 'better'?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Divide your stay into both places. We did several years ago and enjoyed both. However, wherever you stay, it would be a shame for you NOT to tour the Zocolo area I think it is a must for historical value. It is very interesting. The Cathedral in the Zocolo several years ago was sinking and they were restoring it. There was a big pendulum showing their progress. I wonder if the job is done. That Cathedral is worth a visit.