Search

Pismo Beach?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 06:56 AM
travelgirl

Pismo Beach?

Looking for an overnight stop on the way to San Fran from LA (we're doing Hearst Castle the next day). What's Pismo Beach like? What's there to do nearby? Has anyone stayed at the Pismo Lighthouse Suites? Their website looks nice, but I'd like an in-person report if possible. Thanks.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:15 AM
aj

http://www.cliffsresort.com/

Stayed here for a night a few years ago after visiting San Simeon. Beautiful place, huge room, great restaurant and gorgeous sunset.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Kate

I haven't stayed there, but I drive past the Lighthouse Suites all the time and it looks nice.

Personally I much prefer Morro Bay. You could walk down to the Embarcadero. They also have some cute shops along the main street.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 09:29 AM
David

Pismo Beach is very nice. We used to go to Morro Bay but got tired of it. Looking at the Morro Rock on the Bay gets old after a while. Also, the crowds in the hotels tended to be on the younger side and rather noisy.

Pismo Beach has great coastal vistas. We have stayed at the Kon Tiki Inn (www.kontikiinn.com) which is right on the beach. I have never stayed at the Pismo Lighthouse Suites, sorry that I can't help you with that.

Have a good trip.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:35 AM
xxx

I've had the exact opposite experience as the previous poster. Pismo Beach tends to attract a younger party crowd, while Morro Bay attracts a more civilized traveler. Pismo Beach used to have where you could drive your car on the beach, so you can imagine the type of beer drinking person this feature would appeal to.

Harbor Hut is a nice restaurant in Morro Bay for good food and a nice water view.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 03:14 PM
L

I would go to San Luis Obispo if you will be there on Thursday, when they have an outstanding farmers market. There is a nice B&B on Garden street that would put you 1/2 block away from the event. Also a very nice performing arts center at the Cal Poly campus might have a great show. Many other hotels to choose from.

Pismo is a little touristy for me. Moro Bay is a little quiet for me. Moro Bay also has a very good sushi restaraunt that starts with an H.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:32 PM
ann

if you're planning to visit San Simeon, the ideal place to stay is Cambria. Much nicer atmosphere than Pismo, and a lot of nice places to stay across from beach. Stayed at the Fogcatcher Inn 3 years ago and that was nice...

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Ian

I would second aj's comments. I have stayed at about 3 different places on the cliff, all with beautiful ocean views, sunsets, good restaurants too. Can't comment on Morro Bay or Cambria though or the demographics.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:56 PM
traveler

How about the Red Roof Inn or Days Inn - there's one of each in San Luis Obispo and Morro. Anyone stay at any of them? Just looking for a place to sleep between things to do.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Kate

There's a decent Motel 6 in Morro Bay. Not in the downtown area, but within easy access to the beach area. Safe area and good rates for just a place to sleep.