Best On the Beach for Central Coast CA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Early planning for 30th wedding Anniv in Central Coast CA 7 days 6 nights drive from San Diego.

DH likes running beach, forest trails and something to do like wineries.

I like nice hotel on beach with balcony ovelooking beach/water going to sleep hearing the ocean and walking on beach or boardwalk, Farmers MArket or ag tours

If it has a place to cook great...

Researched Pismo, Morro Bay and Avila Beach.

Dolpin BAy Resort,Inn at Morrro Bay, The Cliffs Resort

Can stay at Vandenburg AFB for a real bargain some of the time

Pls provide any insights.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Giving away my secret spot--the Sea Gypsy in Pismo. An ocean front room--with kitchenette. http://www.seagypsymotel.com
Steps to the beach, gorgeous sunsets. Can listen to the ocean all night long--balconies, too.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:30 AM

The Dolphin Bay is amazing, with full kitchens. May be too pricy, though.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Dolphin Bay has a great restaurant. Of the three places, Pismo has the nicest beach for running. Avila Beach is awfully quiet, although depending on the time of year, you might have less chance of fog there. The Lighthouse Suites aren't bad and you can get a room with full view.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM

I've heard good things about the Sea Gypsy, and have wanted to stay there. Also check out the Sea Venture, Edgewater and Sandcastle Inn in Pismo. In Morro Bay, I enjoyed my stays at the La Serena Inn, the Twin Dolphin and the Blue Sail Inn (right next to Dorns restaurant, which I like). Most of my stays have been over 3 years ago...
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM

I recently stayed at the Cottage Inn by the Sea, which was great. It is on a bluff overlooking the ocean and there is a path to some stairs that go down to the beach nearby. The ocean front rooms have small patios in front that overlook the gardens and ocean. I had an ocean view room, which was on the 2nd floor and had a balcony. No kitchen though - just a fridge and microwave.

http://www.cottage-inn.com/
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Some of my favorite people responded and I appreciate it. everyone.

We have never realy stayed ,,just driven thru on military orders up & down I5 so we thought we would like to see this part of the CA coast.

Trvlmaven ..thank you so much for sharing. I am cking

Frankie & mlgb know what you mean re: $$$..we might try to save some money by staying on VAndenberg AFB 1/2 time hence the comment and maybe then we could afford Dolphin BAy..wonder if any of teh residences rent?..so we can keep cost down..we hear that there is beach access..but still researching that

tripinkpj & novemebr-moon txs too for your info. Good to know cottage in has balconies

We think we can make drive from San Diego in one day...unless someone thinks otherwise and then we will be looking for another place..halfway
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM

You can make it in a day--you might want to "skirt" LA and cut over on either the 118 or go on up to 126--it's "scenic" but it will move (we drove it in the opposite direction while the wildfires were blazing--family emergency). Stop in either Ventura or Santa Barbara for a break--then you'll be fine. If you want to keep costs down--you can get an oceanview room at the Sea Gypsy in the "back" building--but you'll be climbing stairs to the third floor (may/not be an issue). You might not hear the ocean as much. All of the other Pismo recommendations are good, but the Sea Gypsy is RIGHT on the beach--we always put on an extra blanket so we can sleep with the sliding door open to enjoy the sound of the ocean. Yeah, former beach folk who now reside inland--got to get our beach fix. We enjoy being able to make our own breakfast (although Penny's around the corner is excellent), and having a nosh available after day-tripping is always nice. Thanks for your compliments. Enjoy!
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM

I think the drive is easily doable in 1 day. We do it from San Juan Cap. in southern Orange County with no problem. Good idea on saving money first, then staying at Dolphin Bay. Just don't do it the other way around, it would spoil you for anywhere else! I have checked vrbo for rentals there with no luck. I don't think there are a lot of real residences at the hotel.
If you do go for a 1 bedroom, be aware that the lowest price rooms can be next to the parking lot. Not a problem, with noise, but no view.
The Dolphin Bay has the best hotel rooms I've ever stayed in, bar none.
Have a great time!
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM

I've rented through this company for Cambria...

cambriavacationrentals.com
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Txs everyone ..I appreciate it very much

So far itinery:
Fri 8/8 Drive to Santra Barbara
stay at Port Magu Beach House cheap)
Sat 8/9 8/10 8/11 8/12
Drive to Shell Bch
stay Dolphin Hot & Res
Wed 8/13 Drive Morro Bay or ? north
Stay 8/14 8/14 8/15/ 8/16 8/17 somewhere resonable $$ ?
Mon 8/18 Drive home San Diego

Sort of stuck on the 8/13 - 8/17 North stay location Morro Bay, Camnria?

We know after staying at Dolphin we will be let down but DH can't change time...maybe something unique or wine country? any thoughts
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Quick question -
Which would you pick - the Cottage Inn at Pismo Beach or the Best Westerns oceanfronts at Cambria or San Simeon?

If you don't know the hotels, which location would you prefer - Pismo, Cambria, or San Simeon?

Thanks for any and all input!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:21 AM

It depends on what you're interested in. Pismo has a long beach good for walking/running, and a few good places to eat.

Cambria has a shorter stretch of ocean beach (Moonstone), and the nearby town center has some interesting galleries.

San Simeon is next to Hearst. It has the least to do. I;ve only been to the beach near the landing, not sure what the hotel is situated at.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM

The BW Fireside Inn in Cambria is very nice, right across from Moonstone Beach Drive, they have an outdoor swimming pool and a jacuzzi, nice continental breakfast in the am, also. In Pismo, we like the Sea Venture Resort! ***kim***