Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Scottsdale Pinnacle Peak vs Rustlers Rooste

Feb 24th, 2004, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience with Pinnacle Peak restaurant or Rustlers Rooste. Any preference? More interested in ambiance, kid friendly-ness scenery than food itself...although food is important.

Feb 24th, 2004, 06:11 AM

We've been to Pinnacle Peak Patio a couple of times and enjoyed it. They have live country music on a big open stage, & serve good steaks at reasonable prices. Wear an old tie - they'll cut it off!
Feb 24th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

I am just so amazed at how much useful information you can get here so fast. Thank you.

Is the park around it worth walking around in?? Is it conveniently located (staying near the Biltmore)
Feb 24th, 2004, 06:50 AM

I've been to both several times--most recently, Pinnacle Peak Patio last year; Rustler's Rooste about 10 years ago, so I can't comment on how it is now. The ambiance is probably similar at both, although PPP has the tradition of cutting off ties (which are all over the ceilings and walls, so reading the cards on these can be fun). I don't know how crowded they tend to be at night, but I think lunch is an option at both. Both should be kid friendly. I've never walked around PPP much, but South Mountain Park, near Rustler's Rooste, has nice trails. My last meal at PPP was pretty average; it is more about the ambiance.

Both will be a bit of a drive from the Biltmore area (for reference, near 24th and Camelback). Pinnacle Peak is further, probably 45 minutes or maybe more. If you look at a map, it is in far northeast Scottsdale, east of Pima Rd. off Happy Valley Rd. FYI, there's a second popular steakhouse up there called Reata Pass.

The freeways may make getting to Rustler's Rooste (which is at the Pointe South Mountain, near Baseline and 48th Street) a little faster.

If I was choosing, I would probably consider other things to do while in the area, then decide whether I wanted to go NE (PPP) or South (Rustler's Rooste).
Feb 24th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

I wsa interested in walking in South Mountain park but isn't there a nice park by Pinnacle Peak? Also, we were going to walk in the Desert botanical gardens...isn't there a nice park near there as well?? What are your suggestions for a nice family nature walk?
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:11 AM

The Desert Botanical Garden and Phoenix Zoo are very near each other in Papago Park. Papago Park also has some picnic areas and walking trails, and you can climb around some of the buttes. At one time, you also could go horseback riding in the park, but I don't know if the stable is still there. The zoo is quite nice and has a "desert" feel to it as well. I think Papago Park offers a lot for families with younger kids, and it is very centrally located. The city and suburbs are around it on all sides and is fairly close to the runways at Sky Harbor, so it won't feel quite as "remote" as some of the mountain parks. But it is a big park, and many areas of it will offer a nice desert walk. It is about a 20 minute drive from the Biltmore in non-rush-hour traffic.

This site will give you some idea of the location and such:
http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/PARKS/hikepapa.html

I take my daughter (now 11) to AZ for spring break most years. For "desert walks," we've usually gone to Papago Park or South Mountain Park. There probably is a park in the vicinity of Pinnacle Peak and I'm just not familiar with it.
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

the other park that looked interesting was papago park. not sure where it is in relation to others.
Feb 24th, 2004, 03:10 PM

There is a park right at Pinnacle Peak (don't know how far away from the restaurant it is, but must be pretty close)

I prefer Pinnacle Peak Patio - it's the original of the big cowboy steak houses in Phoenix. My first time there I met Ted Williams as the Red Sox were still spring training in Scottsdale then.

Papago Park is ok for walking. I never thought the trails were very well marked, but you have excellent visability so you can never get lost.