Notices

Philly Teen Experience

Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philly Teen Experience

Hi! Looking a fun couple hours experience for a group of about 15 teen girls in Philadelphia on a saturday afternoon. We are bringing a soccer team to town, and I wanted to find something either typical Philly, or off the beaten track fun. Thanks! You guys never let me down!
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:43 AM

The Reading Market is the best of breed in diverse market and casual eating. Everything you can imagine and more.

The Market is a long walk from the historic district and the art museum. Difficult to park once and do more than one.

Getting through the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall in two hours depends on the crowds. Don't know if they would do a reservation for a group of 15.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM

i would second Reading Terminal Mkt (it's on Arch street at 12th) It's a big indoor framer's mkt, w/ Amish vendors, lots of choices for lunch --also a few stalls with "hard goods" for shopping like jewelry, honey, jelly, books, etc.
another option would be a walk down South Street, lots of crazy stores, art galleries, restaurants, but also some tattoo, head shops, not as scenic spots...
if you want educational, the National Constitution Center (5th and Market) could easily take a few hours. It has a great theater presentation/orientation that everyone enjoys, also interactive exhibits, abt. presidents, voting, constitution etc. The special exhibit there now is abt Princess Diana.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:56 AM

What about the duck tour? Would recommend it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

as a former teacher i'd love something educational... but as a former teacher i know these girls have ZERO interest. unless i pointed out spots where national treasure was filmed! lol. what about cheese steaks...anywhere on south street? i hear its the geno's and pat's battle...either of those locations accomodate a big group?
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM

Vabarone, I fully concur with your view. Thus I list the following as places with absolutely no educational interest at all:

Running up the steps of the Art Museum, a la Rocky Balboa.
Reading Terminal Market (RTM)
If you can get there in the morning, also check out the Italian Market
Pat's, Geno's, and Tony Luke's all have a small amount of outdoor seating near their windows. A group of fifteen would be unlikely to find seats anywhere near together. That (and making sure you order correctly at the window) is part of the experience of these places. The RTM has plenty of indoor seating, and fifteen people would at least be able to see each other at the central table area.
If some of the teenagers want to see horribly gross and disgusting things, note that the Mutter Medical Museum is a collection of horribly gross and disgusting things.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM

What about a tour of the Eastern State Penitentiary? My teenage daughter loved it!
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:22 AM

Jims steaks on South St. used to have seating upstairs. It still might or take your steaks down to the river and eat them there. There was a recent teens in philly thread. I'll see if I can find it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:25 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...hs-seniors.cfm
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Just a follow up....we opted for Tony Lukes and Geno's for the cheese steaks and brought them all back to the hotel where we we took over a lobby nook. Because it was raining and we had a crudy game schedule we only got to downtown on sunday afternoon, and did the Rocky Stairs, checked out the "Invincable" neighborhood, and walked around the Liberty Bell/ Independance Hall (aka National Treasure scenes). Thanks all!
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the follow up, vabarone. We always like to hear from people we've given advice to. The big question is...which steaks were better, Tony Luke's or Genos.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 06:06 AM

I know you already went, but for others- my teens LOVE the Italian market and also the really liked the Mummer's Museum. That museum is pretty wild visually.

I am taking the teens to the Princess Diana exhibit at the Natl Consitution Center in Philly btwn Xmas and New Yrs.