Tour Philadelphia in 1 day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Mid March, my family and I will have an opportunity to tour Philadelphia - but we only have 1 day to see everything! Could someone please give us some advice on what to see or visit!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:42 AM

Of course, you won't be able to see everything in 1 day.

If you're interested in American government history I would suggest:

1. Constitution Center
2. Independence Hall & Liberty Bell
3. Elfreth's Alley & Betsy Ross House

If you're interested in natural or industrial history:

1. Franklin Institute
2. Academy of Natural Sciences

If you're interested in art:

1. Philadelphia Art Museum
2. Rodin Museum
3. Barnes Foundation

If you're interested in old markets:

1. Reading Terminal Market
2. The Italian Market

These are just some of the potential major stops. For more info, go to www.gophila.com
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 03:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Ok. Let's try to be practical.

If it's museums, the Philadelphia Museum of Art and Rodin very close to each other. Both indoors so weather could influence.

If you do this but weather is good, then walk out the back of the Philadelphia Museum and take a half hour walk along Boathouse Row. Or just walk to the viewing spots behind the Museum for views of the River, etc.

This is all a bit away the the "downtown" area.
- - - - -

For history, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell are directly across from each other. Order tickets in advance for Ind. Hall. That will determine your movement.

Elfreth's Alley & Betsy Ross may not be worth the effort but they're only about 20 minutes walk from Independence Hall.

Also, the Reading Market is only 5-10 minute walk down market from Independence Hall.

If you'll be sleeping in the downtown area, I would get up early and walk around the park area. The National Park Service has done a great job of the Independence Hall Park area. Beautiful grounds. Also walk around Society Hill directly South of the Park. Great early morning walk. Nice residential area with a few historical buildings/homes sprinkled in.

This is a good representative package.
- - - - -

We were in NYC & Philadelphia in Sept. You can see my photos to help you decide on a path.

www.travelwalks.com

Select the New York & Philadelphia trip.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Amy

Here's one possibility for the history/Old City area: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34808371

It's the "Franklin Walk", and it takes in a fair amount of the early history, including the founding, as well as a variety of places.

I also recommend the Parkway-to-Art Museum walk, with perhaps a visit to the Waterworks as well as the Kelly Drive walk, and then there's the University City area with the U of P Museum of Archaeology and Anthropolgy, and the City Hall/Broad Street tour for great architecture (Masonic Temple, Academy of Fine Arts, City Hall itself) with the Reading Terminal Market and a stop at Naked Chocolate Cafe, and then there's Head House Square and South Street, plus of course all the neighborhood gems...

You sure you can't stay longer?

PS: A lot will depend on the weather, of course, which could be just about anything in March. By the way, the marvelous Philadelphia Flower Show is from March 02-09, which I'm guessing may be before your day...if not, you may want to either a) visit the show or b)avoid the Reading Terminal Market area at that time.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:30 AM

However you do it, suggest eating lunch at the Reading Market (there is an Amish restaurant) just to get the flavor of that place -- do museums in the morning and history in the afternoon, maybe. It doesn't take that long to do the history stuff -- just walk-through -- unless you get yourself involved with a guide.

You can certain pick and choose re: the museums, and even if you aren't big on art, it's worth doing the steps up the front of the Art Museum for both the view of the city and the "Rocky" reference, and then you can step inside and see if there's one collection or another that appeals to you and just do that.

Even if you don't love art, the Rodin figures are kind of impressive and, again, it's not that big a place.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU for all of the great replies! They are all very helpful!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:46 AM

i live outside Phila and I will tell you -- all the answers were right on! What good advice!
I'll just add, don't miss the Constitution Center - it's across the street from Liberty Bell&Independence hall --it's a fab, new museum and the opening "presentation" a live show/ actor, about the history of US -- will give you goosebumps