Notices

A Weekend in Philadelphia

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Weekend in Philadelphia

That Yankee that I married wants to take me to Philadelphia.
I am ashamed to admit, that we live so close and have never really visited. I do know it is a lovely city and I will only have two days to see as much as possible.
We are thinking of staying at the Hotel Windsor, an All- Suite hotel right by the Rodin Museum. Anyone ever heard of it? Does anyone have any recommendations of something better if it is not so great? We got a good rate (I think) $119 a night for a studio suite.
After looking through the old threads, I have only gotten a couple of restaurant ideas, would anyone like to recommend some good restaurants?
I know I want to see the old part of the city, the museums and the parks. Please, feel free to tell me where to go and what to do~
Thank you, Scarlett`
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:08 PM

Although I have not stayed at the Hotel Windsor, it does appear to be a nice hotel. It is conveniently located at 17th and the Parkway within walking distance to the Museums area, Rittenhouse Square, City Hall and public transportation.

Some of the must sees in Philly are the Art Museum, Rittenhouse Square, Independence Hall/Liberty Bell, South Street, and the Italian Market. The Mutter Museum has an interesting collection of medical/dental instruments, pathological specimens, and even a cadaver.

A great way to get an overview of Philly is to take a trollley tour http://www.phillytour.com/ It's a hop on hop pf tour that takes you to the main points of interest, including Fairmount Park. It starts across from Independence Hall at 5th and Market.

Philadelphia is an excellent restauant city. Some of my recommendations are:

Italian: Spasso; Upstairs at Varalli

Seafood: McCormick and Schmicks; Philadelphia Fish and Company

Indian: Cafe Spice; Passage to India

American: Fork; Continental; Capital Grille

Mexican: Tequilas

Coffehouse/Cafe: Anthony's at 9th and Christian in the Italian Market

Check out www.gophila.com for more information
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

David,
Thanks so much! I had hoped it was in a good location. The reservations person told me that it was quite close to the Rodin Museum.
The trolley sounds perfect. I saw the Mutter museum on television, I think that was enough
Thank you for the restaurants, I can see that I will have to go back a few more times
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Is that it?
No more help for me? whimper whimper
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:44 AM

Scarlett, you'll probably like the "European" feel at Monks Cafe. Great for mussels and Belgian beer.
http://www.monkscafe.com/

A favorite of most of our out-of-town visitors is Reading Terminal Market. Great place to get a bite to eat, and browse the stalls.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I am sure I will like the "European" feel and I do love mussels and frites

We changed the hotel. I read a page of reviews, they were all complaining about the dirtiness of the rooms
So happily I found a boutique style place that is in a better location,
The Penns View Hotel..anyone hear of it?

Thank you~

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:23 AM

You might want to visit the Battleship New Jersey, across the river from Philadelphia, in Camden.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:29 AM

Just got back from a visit to Philadelphia. We had great dinners at Cuba Libre and Buddakan. A visit to the Art Gallery is a must, as well as the Reading Terminal Market. Also, we had fun strolling the shops/restaurants in Manayunk. Be sure to also check out the South St. area; although we didn't spend much time there, it's fun to see. We stayed just outside of the city near the people we were visiting, but for staying in Center City, I think the Omni at Independence Park would offer one of the best locations for many activities. It also looked pretty nice.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:01 AM

Scarlett I just topped my "Philidelphia" thread for you.

Wendy
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Wendy, thank you so much! Wow,what a wealth of information! I will have to move to Philadelphia to be able to try all those restaurants..I love bistros and Cuban food, so I will be quite happy I think
We got a reco from someone for a place called Bistro Peirrier..ever hear of it? Like I need one more recommendation! LOL, thanks again~
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:38 AM

BRASSERIE PERRIER is on the Fodor's list. Haven't been there, but have enjoyed his top restaurant, Le Bec Fin, which is quite pricey.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:37 AM
Amy

Yo, Scarlett, hi!

(That's a Philadelphia greeting, ya know.)
One of my newest spots in town for just in-between is Capogiro, with real Italian gelato at 13th and Sansom. There's so, so much to do in the city it's hard to give suggestions for just two days, but here's hoping you'll have time for just some wandering, too!
To add to what some others have posted, there's also City Hall (tours are usually available, and there are some terrific rooms inside, as well as Calder sculptures all over) and the University of PA Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology and shopping for designer markdowns at Daffy's and then going across to Liberty Place and eating in Chinatown and getting a picture at the Friendship Gate there and visiting the Arch Street Friend's Meeting House to get an idea of the very beginning of Philadelphia and hiking the Wissahickon and taking a ferry ride on the Delaware and...and....and...

Know what? You'll have to come back for more than just two days

Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:42 AM

Wow, Miz Scarlett is coming to my home town??!! Avec Pup?

The Penn's View Inn is in Old City (I think it's the one on Chestnut Street, not the one on Front?), a rather nice section of town near the historic core. I think it's a Best Western property, but it's not huge and impersonal. You'll have some good restaurants right at your feet--Fork, Buddakhan, Novelty. Anjou for caviar and sake. Metropolitan Bakery for yummy pastries and coffee.

The Rodin Museum is worth a visit, as is the Degas exhibition at the nearby Philadelphia Museum of Art. By "seeing the parks", do you mean sitting in a sidewalk cafe and looking at the park or strolling through one?

If the former, check out the scene at Rouge on Rittenhouse Square. If the latter, take a nice walk on Kelly Drive or rent some rollerblades and go over to the West River Drive, which is closed to traffic on weekends. They're both in Fairmount Park, flanking the river, where you will probably see some crew teams competing or practicing. It's a scene right out of a Thomas Eakins painting.

If you're interested in art, you might want to make a jaunt to the suburbs to see the Barnes Foundation (extraordinary, eccentric collection combing French impressionist works and all sorts of folk art). In town, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts has wonderful collections and an even more splendid building.

Speaking of architecture, check out the new Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts on the Avenue of the Arts. You can just have a drink in there if you're not seeing a show. Another truly grand place for a drink is at the Ritz Carlton. Oh--and your hotel is near Panorama, which has a wonderful wine bar where you can order flights or all sorts of wines.

Brasserie Perrier is excellent and well-located for people watching. La Colombe has very good coffee. There's a new gelato place at 13th and Sansom called Capo Giro which will transport you to Italy. Reading Terminal Market is a fun place to visit for a hearty Pennsylvania German breakfast or just to wander around.

For shopping, well--you must check out your namesake Scarlett Alley on Race between 2nd and 3rd. Assouline & Ting at 5th and Vine is good for caviar, truffles, olive oils, etc. There's a Daffy's uptown, near the Sofitel, and there's no sales tax on clothes.

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

You are all SO COOL~
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:44 AM

Hmmm--looks like Amy and I were posting at the same time (and like we spend a lot of time in the same places
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

LOL~ elle, Pup will be having fun at his own getaway, hanging out with some bichons! Kinky bunch, those pups!
These lists are so great, I see that I might as well start planning the next trip so I can get in all those restaurants and museums while shopping at the same time!
The Penn View is supposed to have European boutique style rooms, they have a site, looks pretty good. Price is usually high, I got a "deal"

"seeing the parks". Hmmm...could that be something Southern left in my speech? What I meant was walking in a park while seeing it But I will also appreciate sitting in a cafe and looking at the park, thank you for both tips~
again, thank you so much~Scarlett
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:42 AM

Another place I love--Creperie Beau Monde. Beautiful interior; good moderately-priced food, decent and reasonable wine list, outside seating, too. The neighborhood's a little funky (6th and Bainbridge, just off of South), but safe and fun.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi
Thank you all for the excellent recommendations, they are in my little book that will be used on our next trip to Philadelphia. Because there will definitely be a next trip-what a lovely city and there were way too many good restaurants and places to shop and way too little time!
The Penns View was perfect, location was good, the room, the service and the price were excellent!
First night there, we ate at Friday,Saturday,Sunday. Loved it.
Second day was spent walking all over the city. From 10 am until evening. We had lunch at the Continental, very nice. Dinner Saturday night was Fork, wonderful! Sunday, lunch at the Plough and Star and they had a fire in the fireplace and it was quite cozy and nice.
We had tickets to the Degas and although I love Degas and want that statue of the little ballerina, I was surprised to find that I could actually overdose on Degas and his ballerinas. But the museum was great and I look forward to going back to the Rodin and others.
Philadelphia is a beautiful city, the people were consistently nice and helpful. I was , of course, trying to figure out how we could move there by the second day
One thing was missing, so I really need to go back for that-with all the walking and looking and picture taking, I did not shop..so needless to say, Scarlett really must go back to Philadelphia~
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:53 AM

Hi Scarlett,
I'm so glad you ate at Friday Saturday Sunday. I loved it there.

I also love philly as well. It is a wonderful city (and underrated city)!

Jodi