Reload this Page >

Philly for New Years

Search

Philly for New Years

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:35 AM
bluestructure

Philly for New Years

Hey everyone, It's been awhile since I've really posted on here. I hope everyone is ready for 2005! Me & Bf is going to Philly on 12/30 for 2 nights. We are staying at Sofitel. Saw 1 good rave in a search on this hotel. Anymore? How is the staff and location? I think I got a good deal, 2 nights + free parking for 228.00 on gophila.com

Any other events going on besides fireworks at Penn's Landing & Mummer's Parades on Jan 1? I guess depending on the weather, any good spots for the parade route or is it worth buying tickets for a seat?

Also, has anyone been to Maggiano's (sp?)

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at www.philly.com for more information. Although Maggiano's is a chain restaurant it isn't bad. There are so many great restaurant's in the city. Go to the message boards for Pennsylvania at www.chowhound.com and post a question that you are visiting Philly and you'll get a lot of responses on where to eat.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 03:12 PM
yk

Hi bluestructure-

I've heard good things about Sofitel, I think you'll enjoy your stay there. It is a very good location, about 2 blocks from Rittenhouse Sq, and 1 block from Walnut St (where all the shops are). There are plenty of very good restaurants around - I would not recommend Maggiano's! It is a chain restaurant and you really should try some other more unique restaurants instead.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:11 PM

I agree, the Sofitel is a great place to stay, and great shopping on Walnut Street, from 14th (Broad Street) all the way to Rittenhouse (18th Street). You got a great deal, parking is typically about $15-$16/day in Center City. Maggiano's is great family style Italian food, but I would prefer authentic Italian at Ralph's or Vetri, or non Italian at any Steven Starr restaurant - Philly is known for its great restaurants. Try looking on www.phillymag.com; this month's issue is on the best restaurants. Enjoy!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 04:26 AM

Ditto all the positive comments on the hotel -- especially if you're going to sample the Mummers parade. There are a zillion great restaurants in Philly and Philadelphia magazine's latest issue reviews just about all of them. What kind of food do you like?
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:16 AM
bluestructure

Back from Philly!

Checking into the Sofitel was very smooth on Thursday, 30th. The staff (french) were all very helpful and nice. The hotel was very gorgeous and located right in the french quarter, a few blocks from Rittenhouse sq & liberty place towers. The room was spacious, decor was great! The bathroom had a seperate glass shower & ceramic tub. The soaps were the good stuff, bath robes, nightly turndown. One night, the staff even opened the gift shop for us at 11pm. I'll definitely be staying here again in the future. Not bad for 283.88 total, which included 2 nights hotel + parking valet for 2 nights + taxes. I got a great deal off the gophila website. We even got a neat laminated fold out map of the city w/ compass.

Some of the neat places we dined was Buddakan on new years eve, we did end up going to maggianos only cuz I like it and there isnt one in Maryland close by.

Had breakfast at Bonte, a parisan style cafe in the french quarter. Its only a 2 min walk from the Sofitel. Had the best belgian waffles! The Gofras are great too! Very authentic, basement level cafe on 17th street.

Drove out to Chesnut hill around 1pm on Saturday before going home. Had a late breakfast at Rollers market. They were only serving breakfast at that time and I had the best grain pancakes w/ apple maple topping.

The Titanic exhibit at the Franklin Institute was great! Also enjoyed the giant heart you can walk thru!

Walked all the way to Elfreths alley and back stopping by chinatown, independence park, christ church, and washington sq along the way. Thats like 50 blocks or so! Philly is very walkable with lots to see.

I do have a Question thou for anyone who can answer this?! I took lots of pictures but there is a picture I took which I cant remember what it was. It was a statue of a man looking up into the glass. It was off chesnut near capenter hall/independence hall area. Ive looked online and I cant find any info on this nor can i remember.

Anyways, the trip was great. Can't wait to make another trip to philly. Would love to go inside the masonic temple someday.

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM

so funny - we did Buddakkan on New Years eve too! Great place. Thanks for your review - we will definitely choose the Sofitel next time over the Four Seasons.

Steve
Maryland
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:32 AM
bluestructure

We were at Buddakkan @ 630 as well on New Years Eve! Yeah, Sofitel was great and the location was nice. Only other hotel that looked nice from the outside and in a good location was the Marriott Courtyard across from city hall. It looked grand from outside esp at night. If you go back to Philly before March 31, check gophila.com for the 2 for 1 specials on hotel rooms + free parking. Most hotels are on the list, just depends on what is available. Loved your trip report Stever!