Need info on Philly restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Philadelphia this weekend with my parents. We'll be staying at the downtown Sheraton. It was not my first choice, but we booked on Priceline. We are thinking of going to one of the following restaurants: Felicia's on 11th Street, Monticelli on 16th St or Belline Grill on 16th St. Does anyone have any reviews of these restaurants or any other suggestions in the same price range?
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:48 PM

I am not a huge fan of Felicia's. Could I suggest Mezzaluna or Cucina Forte? It seems like you want very good Italian food, and these places are really outstanding. I think Cucina Forte is listed restaurants for Philadelphia.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Jed

Felicia and Monticelli are not listed in Zagats. Bellini Grill gets a 19, which is fair. For an Italian restaurant in that area, we like Ernesto's 1521 Cafe at 1521 Spruce St. It gets a 21, and you can bring your own bottle, even though they serve alcohol.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:23 AM

I hate Felicia's. Blech! I've never heard of the other two--either new or crap restaurants not on the radar.

Try Il Portico, Striped Bass, Davios, Rouge, Capital Grille--if you are dining in the Rittenhouse Square area.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I also think you need a new list. The places Margina just recommended are great but are also the most expensive in the City. You don't need to spend that much $ for great Italian food in Philadelphia. Hop in a cab and go to Villa Di Roma in South Philly on 9th Street for an authentic South Philadelphia Italian experience. We have many great BYOs that are affordable and near your hotel: Bronzino, Melagrano, Mattyson, Caffe Costa Diva. If you want to spend a bit more, try Southwark or Sovala, both of which have excellent food ratings and have liquor service.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Post this question on the Pennsylvania message board at www.chowhound.com and you'll get more responses. Acouple of my faves are Tre Scalini (BYOB), Brasserie Perrier, El Vez, L'Angolo (BYOB), tangerine.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:52 AM

I agree with buongiorno. Chowhound is an excellent source for finding great restaurants in Philly.

I also agree that Tre Scalini is about as good as Cucina Forte and Mezzaluna. All three of these restaurants are owned by the chef, who are from Italy. L'angolo is also very good. These places remind me of meals had in my travels to Italy.

Villa di Roma is not bad if you like what I call red-checkered tablecloth Italian food. You know. Places that make A LOT of Chicken, Veal or Eggplant Parmigiana, oversauce their pastas, etc. In other words, places that would irk Mario Batali. But, some people like that kind of restaurant. Its a matter of preference.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Also check out the dining/food section at www.philly.com for reviews of restaurants. As FM points out there are essentially 2 types of "Italian" restaurants in Philly. I'm in no way classifying one type as bad and one as good. You have Italian-American places like Villa di Roma and Ralphs that we generally refer to as "red sauce" places where you get typical spagetti and meatballs, ravioli filled with ricotta, chicken/eggplant/veal parmagian, garlic bread, etc. Then there's the places that are more what you might eat in Italy like Tre Scalini, L'Angolo, etc.

They all have good food, they're just different.

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Just spent 3 days in Philly. Not sure exactly where you're staying but for what its worth, had a fantastic meal at Vetri, and very good meal at Marigold Kitchen, and the greatest cheesesteak at John's Roast Pork (closed on Sundays) I also went to the Striped Bass for dessert. They have an over the top banana split done with tons of homemade toppings. Expensive, but really terrific. Have fun.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:43 AM

My experience last January at Felica's was not great. I live in center city Philadelphia and dine out quite often. Just recently had an excellent meal at Branzino (BYOB) on 17th Street. Also I can suggest Twenty Manning in the Rittenhouse area. Of course Capital Grille and Davios can be fun. I see one of the other posts suggested Tre Scalini and Ralph's...both excellent choices also.