Philadelphia Restaurant Question & Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're headed to Philadelphia next week and I'm curious to know if anyone has been to Davio's, 111 South 17th Street. A dinner we must attend is scheduled there Thursday evening and I'm just curious to know more about the place.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on casual places to eat near our hotel, The Westin, 99 South 17th Street, I would love to hear from you. Thank you!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi AnnMarie, I haven't been to Davio's but I've heard that they have a nice private room with great views of the city and that the food is good. SO you should be OK there.

In coming to Philadelphia, you are coming to the absolute center of BYO dining so get yourself to a PA liquor store and get some nice wine. From your hotel, you can walk straight down Chestnut Street to 13th Street, turn right and you will find a really good Mexican place called Lolita's. Also there is El Vez,another mexican restaurant (with a full bar.) The food is better at Lolita's but El Vez is a lot of fun. By the way, you can bring your own tequila to Lolita's. Also on this block is what some people consider the best gelato outside of Italy: Capogiro's. Check out their website and you will be inspired to try it.

A new place at the corner of 13th and Walnut is the Naked Chocolate Cafe. It's getting great reviews for desserts and chocolate drinks.

At the corner of 18th and Walnut, you can try Rouge. Their hamburger was just voted one of the best in the country (I forget by who - maybe Esquire?). And at 20th and Spruce is an Italian Tuscan place called Melagrano that gets good reviews from people.

Have fun!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Suki, thank you so much!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Also put your post on www.chowhound.com

There are many places to eat near your hotel and many worth taking a taxi to get to. Within easy walking distance are several great restaurants that are essentially casual, Brasserie Perrier, Susanna Foo, Il Portico, Barclay Prime, etc.

Go to www.philly.com and you can see all the restaurants for the city by area.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're welcome, AnnMarie. philly.com is a great place to search. It reminded me of a great BYO on 19th Street called Matyson. You should make reservations though. I've been wanting to eat there forever.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM

I just got back from Philadelphia. I second Rouge-- good food, lively scene. I also loved Le Castagne, which isn't too far from your hotel and serves very nice high-end Italian. There are some really good eats in Center City.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

You people are making me hungry! Thank you!!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 04:54 PM
yk

Davio's is great. You won't be disappointed.

I'd recommend Matyson or Continental.
http://www.matyson.com/
http://starr-restaurant.com/continentalmidtown.com/