philadelphia lodging for baseball and airport

Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
philadelphia lodging for baseball and airport

hi......we are driving to Philly for a ball game at Citizens Bank Park, staying overnight, and then one of us flying out of the airport the next day.
I am unfamiliar with the city but am hoping to stay at a hotel near public transportation. That way we could park at the hotel, take public transport to the ballpark and back, and then drive to the airport the next morning. Of course, if the hotel had a shuttle to the airport , that would be great, too.
Can anyone suggest a hotel ( s ) that would work well for this plan? We are Hilton and Marriot members, but location is probably more important than membership for this trip.
thank you for any help you can offer !
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM

Any place in Center City would satisfy the former. The easiest way to get to the Ballpark is to take the Broad Street Subway (aka the "Orange Line") south to Pattison, its last stop.
www.septa.org/maps/transit/bsl.html

If you are anywhere along Market Street, take the Market Subway (aka "Blue Line") to the free transfer stop at 15th Street.
www.septa.org/maps/transit/mfl.html

This pdf will show where the stops are, relative to the main streets of Center City.
www.septa.org/maps/region/pdf/ccp.pdf
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:53 PM

The ballpark is only 3 miles from the airport. There is a Holiday Inn practically across the street from the ballpark, maybe a block and a half.

I would stay/park there and walk to the game. Or stay at an airport hotel (free parking vs probably pay parking in the city center) and drive to the game. The Residence Inn at the airport has a free shuttle to the airport as many other hotels in that area will.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

mmm, still pondering whether to stay at the airport ( free parking? ) or in Center City. How difficult is it to drive into Center City and then drive out to the airport the next morning. I know that it is only 3 miles away, but if the streets are like Boston, I would rather not tackle it.

is there an airport hotel that anyone would recommend over another one?
thanks for the help. there will hardly be much time at the hotel itself, other than sleeping. It is more for ease of transportation back and forth to Citizens Park and the airport.
thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM

I'll change my tune -- slightly. In my previous post, I suggesting staying at a Center City hotel in order to get easy public transit to CBP. Doing so, however, will make it more difficult to get to the airport by car the next morning. It won't be as bad as Boston -- which I consider the most auto UNfriendly city in the USA -- but it might be a pain. If you stay near the airport, you'll have no trouble getting to PHL the next morning, but you'll have to give up taking mass transit to CBP -- unless you go to Center City WAY before the start of the game.
If you stay in Center City, you can easily get to CBP (as noted above), but DRIVING to PHL the next day is a lot more problematic. However, if only one of you actually need get to PHL, that person can take the R1 Airport Line direct (as this PDF file shows)
www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/air.pdf
and the other person can just drive out of Center City.

Airport hotels, almost by definition, are short on charm and long on getting people efficiently between their doors and the airport. If you go to www.kayak.com, you can specify a search ONLY for lodging near the airport and with an airport shuttle. If you find a choice that is within your budget, you can check out its amenities on Kayak, or get in-depth reviews either on Kayak or on TripAdvisor.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You said that you are Marriot members. There is a Marriot right AT the airport. I mean right there....you don't even really have to walk outside to get to the airport. I have gotten great rates there through AAA.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 03:33 PM

I have used priceline.com ( name your own price) and Hotwire.com at PHL. Got the Sheraton Suites and enjoyed it. Very inexpensive.

You can practically decipher the hotwire hotels at the www.betterbidding.com site on their hotel list.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

thank you, all, for your replies and help. Just one site question...i haven't visited Fodors forum too often since the changes. Is it possible to enter a search that will connect to a specific state? It seems that the search window is for the entire forum and some topic headlines are not state or city specific, so I wonder if they show up in the results.

as far as lodging, I am leaning toward staying in Center City, taking Septa to and from the game, and then driving to the airport in the morning ( it will be a saturday, so perhaps not as hectic ). I found an offer for the Radisson Warwick, decent price including free parking. What do you think of the location, convenient to a Septa stop?
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

wow, i just that i can do an "advanced search"...sorry for the premature question, i only needed to spend a little extra time to answer my own site question !

But i am still interested in feedback on the Radisson Warwick, if anyone is familiar with that hotel.

thanks, as always !
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:20 AM

You might get more replies with another post with that hotel in the title.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 12:37 PM

> i am still interested in feedback on the Radisson Warwick

Here's 235 reviews:

http://tinyurl.com/RadWarwick
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM

The three Marriott hotels downtown arrange airport shuttle for $10-$12 per person, but parking at the hotels is about $45 per night.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all who offered help.
we will stay in the Radisson Warwick, a decent price through dealbase.com, with parking included. I think that we will be able to take the Septa to and from the game, then drive to the airport the next morning ( saturday at 7:30 AM shouldn't be that difficult, right? )
again, fodorites are such good people....