Pearl Harbour.....security

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Geoff

Pearl Harbour.....security

Just arrived back from Ohau. Since sept 11 security is understandably tight there. What you travellers should know is that you are not allowed to carry anything into the base. this includes purses,camera bags.diaper bags....I mean anything! If you take the city bus there and have any of these items,or similar,you will be denied access at the gate resulting in a wasted trip. Also be warned,if you take your rental car there you leave your valuables in your car at your own risk as the parking lot is a high theft area because thieves also know you have to leave everything in your vehicle if you want to go onto the base. One last thing,no there are no lockers or anything else around that you can rent so travel lightly for this visit.

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not even a purse? you can't take a camera to get photos of the Arizona Memorial or the Missouri?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM

I went to the Official Pearl harbor Site: You can bring a camera, but not the Camera bag.... there are lockers according to the Official Site. Here is a cut adn paste from teh site:
Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring a camera and cam-recorder. A storage container is available for visitors coming to the USS Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park and the Battleship Missouri. The container can be found in the visitor center parking lot. Items accepted must be smaller than 30"H x 30"W x 18"D; suitcases are not accepted. There is a nominal storage fee. The storage locker is in operation daily 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Visitors may use the same locker and parking stall for all three tours.

Security measures are strictly enforced at all three visitor destinations on Pearl Harbor. Federal law enforcement officers and security bike patrols monitor the parking lots. However it is not recommended to secure items of value in your car. Be safe; do not travel with valuables and use the storage locker.

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 01:57 AM

It's been two years, but when I was there, there was an easily accessible "left items" area next to the parking lot, with a small fee per item . Has that changed?
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 03:00 AM

As the website says, there is a "storage" area. It's not lockers, it is open bins, but it is manned, and the cost is $2 per item left. This area is b/t the Visitor Center for the Arizona and the Bowfin/Missouri exhibit.
No bags of any kind are permitted. I even had to discard the clear plastic bag I had some leis in, that's how strictly they enforce the rules.
If you can't carry it in your hand or put it in your pocket, it must be left behind.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:06 AM

i was a victum of theft exactly as poster indicates, my luggage was in my car for my flight home, i wouldn't have checked it as a normal person doesn't drag their suitcases with them when touring a site i kept it in the trunk.

the park service has a big trailer for checking items. Do check your purse or valuables DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN THE CAR.

the police told me thieves observe the parking lots from tall bldgs across the way, using binoculars. they watch what people put in their cars and send their street thugs out to get things done.

i hope they enjoyed my dirty laundry!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips..i wouldn't have even thought about this, but its understandable that security would be tighter, and that is good for all of us. I am surprised the lot isn't watched more closely! I will take very little when I vistt next week. Any other tips I sould know about Hawaii tourist destinations? I leave in 11 hours!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Arizona Memorial parking lot is fairly secure to park in. There are security guards and there are cameras.

That said, there are always thieves in any tourist area. Do not take valuables in the car with you unless you have to. Do not open a bag or luggage, etc. in the view of others and then place the bag back in the car or the trunk of the car.

The reason thieves choose your car is that they know you placed something in your trunk or hid something on the floor because they saw you put it there.

If you need something out of a bag, stop somewhere before you get to the parking lot.

This is for any parking area in any tourist area. Thieves know that even if they get caught, it is unlikely for a tourist to come back and testify.