Taking Film thru Security

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:04 PM
cruztraveler

Taking Film thru Security

I'd like comments from past travelers since 9/11 about the safety of exposed and unexposed film (200 and 400 speed and one-time use cameras) after being scanned by carry-on scanners and by checked-in luggage scanners. I never had problems with scanners ruining film before 9/11, and I used to pack film in carry-ons and checked-in luggage, and I never used a lead film bag. Developing the film while on vacation won't be an option for me this trip. Thanks for your help.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Toto

I recently had to repack my luggage in the middle of the Honolulu Airport as I had placed my exposed film from our vacation in my checked luggage. They told us that the scanners being used for checked bags now is much more distructive to exposed film and that all exposed film should be placed in carry on luggage.
I always did it the opposite way before 9/11. You aren't even allowed to pull the cameras or film out for hand searching, everything must go through the scanners.
Toto

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Harriette

MSN just had something on their website about it and they recommend only packing camera and film in carryon including 1 time use cameras. It seems that the checked luggage screeners damage the film.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Paul Therault

I have been through foreign security hundreds of times and always kept my video cassettes in my pocket and one in the camera. Never had a problem until Athens last year. Returning home I found the cassette in the camera had fogged. It was fine before security and I took additional footage at home on the same tape and it was perfect.

Paul

Old May 20th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Charlie

Video cassettes will not be harmed by xray scanners however, if they are carried on your person thru metal detectors chances are they will be affected.Many video cassettes use metalic tape and become magnetized(fogged) when exposed to a metal detector.I've flown numerous connections since 9/11 and have had no problems with 35mm film,I always carry on and use an inexpensive lead film bag for extra protection.

Old May 20th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Heather

I had the 800 speed film for my last trip. It wassed through the detectors once at the airport and once on the eurotrain. We developed most of the film while in Europe and it was fine. They won't hand check your film unless it is over 1000 speed. The guy told me mine was under 1000 speed and it is fine.

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:57 AM
Paul Therault

Thanks Charlie.

Paul