Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever been denied a hand inspection at security?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Jim

Have been following recent threads about film and x-ray machines at security. Not talking about the highpowered checked luggage machines, but carry-on security checks. During several recent trips, including one to Guyana in which I was simply glad to get out of the country alive, my requests for hand search of my camera and film was denied. I was TOLD in each instance to put the stuff on the conveyer belt. Of course I meekly complied, despite my reservations. It doesn't seem to be the right time to start asserting one's rights.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Tracey

Happened to me on my flight home from Denver. I was told that unless the flim was over 1000 asa it would be safe. Pictures turned out fine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:38 AM
xx

"Unfortunately, with the new higher security at U.S. airports, security screeners are demanding that all film and cameras be put through X-ray machines. Prior to Sept. 11, most airport security screeners would allow film and cameras to bypass the machines and be hand-checked. A Newsday photo editor reports that his wife, a professional photographer, passed through four airports in recent weeks and had all of her equipment X-rayed and then hand-checked, with screeners looking through each camera. Kodak spokesman Jim Blamphin in Rochester offers this advice to travelers: Under no circumstances should you pack unprocessed film in luggage intended to be checked. "Luggage passed through the high-intensity scanners now in use at many airports will damage unprocessed film," Blamphin says. "This includes film that is inside a camera, single-use cameras and film roles that have been exposed but not yet processed." Kodak's warning also applies to film packed in a lead-lined bag and then packed in checked luggage, which can actually increase the damage, the company says. Meanwhile, carry-on items containing film, such as purses or briefcases, can be safely passed through the X-ray conveyor belts at standard security checkpoints leading into the gate areas. These very low-intensity scanners will not harm unexposed film, even if passed through six or seven times. High-speed film, such as ASA 1000, can be safely passed through three or four times without risk." From Newsday yesterday.<BR><BR>

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Dick

I was carrying a lot of film recently on a European trip. Even though the speed wasn't that high (ASA 400), x-rays are cumulative and I expected to be going through a lot of them, so each time I asked for hand inspection. The response was consistent everywhere - they asked if the film was over ASA 1000, and when told not, each checkpoint politely but firmly denied my request. I agree that it didn't seem like a good time to start an argument. The film turned out fine.

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Gretchen

Another in the "no exceptions, put it on the conveyor belt" experiences.

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:09 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>it's worth remembering too that it is difficult to argue in ,say, Serbo Croat or whatever !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Natasha

Yep. It will be hard to get around it these days. I've kind of given up on trying.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:02 AM
jjj

Went to Europe Last Sept (after 11th) and was told everywhere that absolutly NO hand inspections. I took 400spd film and ther was no damage, it went through 7 x-rays in my carry-on luggage.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Capo

I was denied hand inspections of the bag containing my film every time on our recent trip. I didn't make a big deal about it because three different people at professional camera shops in Seattle had assured me that low-speed film (I used 200 for prints and 50 for slides) was fine with about 5 or 6 passes through carry-on x-ray machines.<BR><BR>I've read in numerous places that one should never send film in checked luggage due to the higher intensity x-rays used for this luggage. In fact, the shop where I get my slides processed in Seattle has had a sign warning about this for the past two years or so.