PDX Hotel Question...

Search

PDX Hotel Question...

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PDX Hotel Question...

I am headed to PDX next week. The first few days I am staying in Govt Camp (Business)and then heading to visit family in the Beaverton area.
I am not too concerned with the closest hotel to Beaverton, so please do not use that when providing advice.

These are possible choices:

Phoenix Inn Tigard - 75.00
Breakfast (waffles, eggs, etc)
Free WIFI, free parking, free calls

Larkspur Landing Hillsboro - 80.00
Limited cold b'fast
Free WIFI, free parking, free calls

The Heathman Hotel - 89.00
Nothing free, but a great rate.

Ok... I would like to save money. The Heathman is a great place, but after tips, food, parking, etc, I am looking at 135.00 a night.

The Hillsboro property looks pretty nice and I would have a full kitchen, which is nice for me because I am not a fan of eating out.

The Tigard property has a micro and fridge but it has that good hot b'fast which is sort of a big deal to us. It may be the lowest end property of the 3.

Has anyone seen these hotels personally?
I am leaning towards the Tigard hotel but I worry that its dumpy.
I like that the mall is right there...

Thoughts?
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM

If you want to be smack dab in the middle of town, The Heathman is good.. but you are right about the extras.
Parking could be elsewhere, you don't have to use theirs ..SmartParks are all over town.

The others are in suburbs that we didn't visit much...except for Tigard being close to Bridgeport.
But the price sounds right!

Old May 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM

Phoenix Inn Tigard is nothing to write home about, but certainly not a dump. It's located next to Washington Square (big shopping mall), and just off I-217, which would give you easy access to Beaverton.

Heathman is one of Portland's nicer, older hotels. Great central downtown location, and nice restaurant. When traffic's flowing, it's about 20-25 minutes from there to Beaverton.

I don't remember ever noticing Larkspur Landing, but just for location, I'd pick the Phoenix Inn over that regardless.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:07 PM

It depends on where you want to be. If you want to be right in downtown, then the Heathman is fine. But if you are just needing something in the area, then the Pheonix Inn would be good. It is walking distance to WA SQ, and several restaurants, and very easy freeway access. I haven't stayed there, but I go past it often and the location is fine.

This past fall we had an event in downtown so stayed over at the Heathman. We had a Symphony Suite, which was ok, but definitely not worth the price. We have had rooms in Europe that were larger. The bathroom showed a lot of wear and tear, which I felt was inexcusable. Early on the morning that we were going to check out, the maid came in, without knocking. I did not appreciate that of course as I was still in bed. Parking there is normally about $25 a night, so factor that into your cost. The hotel offers the same package you can get through pova, which includes breakfast and parking, so check those rates as that might be more economical for you. BTW, breakfast there was not memorable.

But even with all that said, downtown is great so that might overshadow the negatives of the hotel itself.

If this were me, I would opt for Pheonix Inn.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... I think I will go with the Phoenix Inn.
It's amazing how much of a draw those darn waffles are! We never eat waffles but those are just awesome and with a little egg will hold us until dinner!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM

We had a wonderful stay at the Heathman, that's a great rate for a hotel of this caliber. Enjoy Portland! ***kim***
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM

kimamom, have you been to the Heathman again since that visit 4 years ago?
I was curious if you could compare the room you had when it was just renovated and what they are like now..you said you stayed in a Symphony Suite then, right?
Thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM

Kimamom--Based on my stay there this fall, they would have to pay me to stay there again.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Kal

Ohhhh ***kim***...
Any answers????
***kim****....***kimmmmm*****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj49V...eature=related
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM

Kal, maybe you haven't been reading the elitism threads in the Lounge, but still, you should know bettah! **Some** people are above having to answer questions or defend any recs they make.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Kal

ME??? Elitist???

I could only hope and pray I could even come close to being as elite as some people here!

I'm just a lil' ol' poor boy from the wrong side of the trax most Mother's warned their daughters about.

Good thing Mrs Kal never listened to her Mom.