Part 2 Scott_S Big Island Trip report

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part 2 Scott_S Big Island Trip report

This is our second island, again feel free to ask me qustions.

Big Island ? Fairmont Orchid
Day 6
Swim at pool, relax, eat dinner, unpack etc

All went smoothly, rented a SUV from National again and we were at the Orchid by 5PM. I had a coupon for an upgrade to a suite that we used. We had a garden view, but the room and Lani were huge, their web site says it is over 1000sq feet, we were actually able to unpack all our stuff and put it in dressers. The bathroom was huge and had a tub with a shower and a separate shower stall in a separate room off the bathroom. The suite also had an additional powder room.

We unpacked went to the pool then had dinner at Brown?s beach house at the hotel, after dinner we walked around the hotel and went swimming at the pool again. Dinner was great, we all enjoyed our meals, and the view was fantastic. Their pool is nice and large but it sort of a let down after the Westin.

Day 7
Dolphin Encounter for Daughter
Night Manta ray dive for me

We grabbed a quick breakfast at the hotel and swam at the beach a little before we went to the Hilton for my daughters Dolphin encounter. The Hilton is overwhelming it is huge, there are shuttles and boats that take you around the place since it was so big. The dolphin encounter was good, my daughter enjoyed it. We went back to the hotel and I left for my night Manta Ray dive with Kona Honu, this was a fantastic experience, it is like watching underwater ballet with the giant 15-foot plus manta rays. Cost around $100 for 2 one tank dives, the crew was great except for my dive leader, he was a jerk. My wife and daughter ate at the grill restaurant at the hotel, they enjoyed it.

Day 8
Volcano National Park
Blue Hawaiian Circle of Fire tour
Dinner in Hilo or on the way back to hotel

We got off to a late start; we had to drive directly to Hilo airport to catch our helicopter tour with Blue Hawaiian. It was great, we enjoyed it, and I was a little disappointed we did not see any lava flow and we did not fly around the active volcano. It was all our first time on a helicopter, and our pilot was great, we had 2 others in the helicopter with us. After that we went to Champaign pond and a natural hot bay. The pond drive qualifies as an adventure as we were driving on crushed lava rock and we were getting splashed by the waves while driving, my daughter was a little scared, I just put it in 4 wheel drive and had some fun. It took about a half-hour to find the pond we were looking for. It was nice, but not worth the effort. The hot pond/bay was easy to get to and nice. We also stopped at some tree park, but not for long, it didn?t look that great. We then wanted to see the Lava at night but the park was closed by the time we got there and we had no idea at all where to go, so we headed back to the hotel around the south side, it was around 7:30PM and everything was closed. It was a long ride back and we were never so happy to see a McDonalds before.

Day 10
Deep sea fishing for me
Free

I forgot to book this so I did no go fishing. We stayed around the beach and pool all day and took surfing lessons, what fun!! My daughter had night Dolphin camp at the Hilton, the fed the dolphins and then went inside, I went back to the hotel, picked up my wife and we ate dinner at the Italian restaurant at the Hilton ($100 for the 2 of us).

Day 11
Fairwinds scuba/snorkel
Dinner at Pahul?a

My wife got sunburn and she did not feel up to snorkeling, so I went with my daughter (we were able to get a refund for my wife). They supplied breakfast. The trip was great, I did Scuba and my daughter snorkeled. We ate lunch and then snorkeled together. There were lots of great fish and the visibility was great.

We had dinner at Pahul?a at the Four Seasons, we had a covered seat outside, what a fantastic sunset view and the food was wonderful (cost $200)

Day 12
Pool, beach, pack off to Kauai

Surfed and snorkeled some more at the beach, then we went in to pack, the flight to Kauai was around 3:30PM, there were no direct flights, but this flight flew to Kauai, but it had a short stop over in Honolulu, we didn?t have to get off the plane. We left around 12:30 to get to the airport.

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 08:28 PM

I LOVE that you put not only what you did on the trip but what your original plans were. It is really neat to see the comparison. All in all, sounds like a fantastic trip! Thank you also for putting the costs of your adventures--great addition.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:57 AM

Hi Scott,
I just read your review about the Orchid which you posted for someone else.
We are planning on visiting the BI
in Nov. And we were going to stay at
the Orchid. Can you tell me more
about the construction. You said is
was going on next door. Is that next
door inside the hotel, or on the
property next door. Is it loud? Is
it disruptive? THanks Scott.
Joanne
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi Joanne,

The construction was just off the right of the hotel when looking from the beach. The hotel is a upside down U shape (again from beach) and the was on the outside of the U. We only heard a few noises comming from the constuction, It did not bother us, but you could ask to have a room on the other side of the hotel (we may have but, I unpacked before I realized, and did not want to pack and unpack again). The construction was also not too far from the beach, they were in the early phase of the construction, it has been over a month since I was there, I am not sure what they were building (I think time share or condo?) or when it will be done, I would ask the hotel. We loved the hotel and still would go, but I would call just to inqire about the construction. I am sure that if it is an inconvience, that if you compain the hotel would compensate you.

Have fun,

Scott
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:22 PM

Scott,
Thanks so much for the info
on the construction at the Orchid.
I just noticed you mentioned you
had a coupon for an upgrade to
a suite when you stayed.
Can you tell me how you got the
coupon?
Thanks so much
Joanne
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Joanne,

I am a gold member of the Fairmonts' president club (frequent guest) and they send you some certificates each year. They used to give you a certificate just for signing up, *(I don't think they do this anymore, but you can ask). When are you planning to go again?

Scott
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 05:44 PM

Hi Scott,
We'll be at the Fairmont on Nov 11
through Nov 15th.
Joanne