parking in NYC- day trip from Philly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a cheap, easily accessible parking area in NYC. I'm planning on a day trip on sunday and am a little unsure about driving in Manhattan let alone trying to find a good, central parking spot. We plan to spend most of our time window shopping mainly around 5th Ave, Rockerfeller Center areas. My girls will probably want to check out Times Square and Broadway area as well. We've been to the area a bunch of times so hitting all the touristy things isn't necessary. I mainly want to see NY at Christmastime! I know parking isn't cheap but an approximate cost would be helpful as well. Also- does anyone know anything about the bus that leaves from Chinatown in Philly and goes to NYC? I've heard it's cheaper but don't know details. Thanks to all.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:14 AM
blissa

Hi terric-
I am a Manhattan resident and can offer some general information here.
You're right parking in midtown will be expensive.
If you drive:
The "Trump" Lot is an outdoor parking lot on the West Side, around 59th or 60th St and 12th Ave which has cheaper daily rates. I used to park my car there monthly. They have a shuttle bus that can take you into Midtown. And taxis aren't difficult to find there, either.

There are also lots on 57th St between 9th and 10th, 40th between B'way and 7th, and several others, but I recommend staying away from the center with a car at Christmastime, because it's a madhouse!
You are better parking a bit uptown and taking public transportation to see the sights.

As for the "Chinatown: buses, I have taken these buses several times between NYC and Baltimore. The two companies I use are called "Dragon Coach" and "Double Happiness" and they have pick up and drop of destinations around Herald Square.

I don't know the locations in Philly, but buying tickets online is recommended, because the seats are guaranteed to those with etickets, and others must wait to board- sometimes not everyone makes it on, and must wait for the next bus. My mom, who is in her eighties, also rides these busses to come to NYC, because they are so inexpensive.
Seats are fairly comfortable, and they make a rest stop.

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:29 AM

If you can get there before 10:00 a.m., most parking garages have "early bird specials" -- somewhere between $18-25/day after tax. Parking a few blocks east or west of 7th and 8th avenues (maybe 3rd or 4th, since you're looking to shop on 5th) will knock the price down a little too. You can't drive more than three or four blocks without passing a garage and most prices are pretty standard, so don't worry too much about specifics!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not come up 95, get off at Route 1 North (at Quakerbridge Mall) and go up to the Princeton Junction train station - plenty of cheap parking on Sunday ($3 a day,) and roundtrip to Penn Station is about $18.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I was just in NYC 2 weeks ago, we parked in a garage in Times Square that was $37.50/day or 34 hours. Then it was something like $12/hour, until you hit the $37 mark and you would just pay the daily rate.

My DH is from Philly--in fact we will be there next week! Whenever we go to NYC we always take a train from 30th Street Station, I think to Trenton (or maybe someplace even closer?), where we can pick up the NJ Transit Line. It is pretty cheap this way. (Not like Amtrack!) For some reason $7/txt to NYC rings a bell. Although you probably already know this.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Port Authority garage is always a good bet. But I also recommend driving to Trenton or Princeton Junction and doing NJ transit. A much more relaxing option!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Take the train. Save yourself the hassle. Allow yourself the opportunity to have a glass of wine with dinner.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for all replies. I had thought about the train from Princeton but wasn't sure of the specifics- thanks Suki. blissa- just what i was looking for...an insiders view! thanks for the specifics on parking. thinking seriously about the train. Again- thanks for all the help! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!