Park City -- olympic bobsled

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Park City -- olympic bobsled

Hello,

We'll be in Park City over Christmas break. We were thinking about trying the bobsled ride at the Olympic Park. Has anyone tried it? How rough of a ride is it? Thanks in advance.

J
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:11 AM

I understand it's pretty intense in spots, but I also understand it's very expensive.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Did the bobsled ride in Lake Placid a number of summers ago. It is intense and expensive, but we felt well worth it. Our family of four[2 adults, 2 kids] were joined by a driver and a brakeman. We were given helmets and gloves. You are placed in the bobsled then pushed off by the brakeman and others. You do not jump in like in the Olympics. Also at Lake Placid, it was a shortened 1/2 mile run. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Hi J,

I live in Park City and have yet to do it myself, although I have always wanted to! I know lots of people who have done it. They all say it's a minute you won't forget. Sometimes grown men need help standing up afterwards, it's that much adrenaline.

Last I heard it was $200 and you must make reservations months ahead of time. Call now and see if there is anything available.

I'm jealous!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:08 PM

I stood within a few feet of the track watching American olympic hopefulls the winter before the olympics. The speed was so increadible that I would never try something like this. Watching it on TV makes it look like a grandma race.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Wow! $200 for 1 minute. I guess we got a bargain in Lake Placid, it was just over $100 for 4 people.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 03:24 PM
KMK

Website for the Utah Olympic Park is:

http://www.utaholympicpark.com

According to the website, summer bobsled rides are $65 per person, no reservation required. Doesn't indicate schedule or pricing for the winter months however, other than some references to starting to take reservations for winter rides Oct 1, so I don't know if winter rides are somehow different...but, the website does have other info on the park, and contact info if you have questions.

I did do this at Lake Placid, and it was pretty cool...a little bouncy, but the speed was the scarier part! Lake Placid also offered luge at the time, which my friends did instead....I was kind of jealous, after the fact, the luge looked more exciting & fun since you were on the sled by yourself!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:58 AM

I encourage you to do this bodsled ride. Yes, it is expensive but I have wonderful memories of having taken that ride.

In the summer the cost is probably (?)less because the sled does run on wheels. In the winter it runs on ice. The latter sled for sure needs to driven by an expert and this probably why it costs around $200 for a thrilling one minute ride. If I recall you get up to a 3G force.

Weak back or neck? Don't do the run. Otherwise try it....it gave me a wonderful sense of what our Olympic Team does in competition.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'll call right now to see if I can get a reservation. I'm pretty good on roller coasters, so I hope I don't embarass myself!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:32 PM

Hi again J,

I'm sure ou won't embarrass yourself, although some people do (if you know what I mean).

KMK, if you think about it, as winesipper pointed out, the BIG difference is a little thing called "ice". Available only in winter. The winter bobsled rides take only 2 riders, and 2 certified bobsleders - a driver and a brakeman. Since you don't do the running start taht you see in the Olympics, you ONLY get up to about 65 mph, rather than the 80 mph hit in competition.

I've never heard of a 6 person bobsled, so maybe other people have done a summer ride where you drive yourselves?

Yes, the summer rides are on wheels so much slower, but still a thrill!

Have a blast!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:53 PM

We were in Park City this summer and thoroughly enjoyed the Olympic Park. You don't mention your age, but my 3 sons all rode the bobsled and loved it. You can ride 3/car -at least in the summer- w/ a guide so I didn't go since I didn't want to go by myself nor split my boys up. Each bobsled is timed in this wild run, and my boys were thrilled to have the top speed for the day-almost 70 mph- and pulled 4 g's. It's normally $65/person, but we lucked up on a 2-day special when it was only $50/person! We signed up in the museum that day, but they were only running in the afternoons. It was a unique experience and I recommend it. I know my boys will have an extra thrill and appreciation during the next winter Olympics when they watch the bobsleds and compare their times w/ the Olympic ones. Enjoy!