Park Central Hotel - any reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:40 AM
DSM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Park Central Hotel - any reviews?

Hello everyone,

I'm considering making a reservation at the Park Central Hotel (7th Ave at 56th St). Has anyone on this board stayed in it before?

It looks quite nice on its website (most hotels do though!!). Just wondering what the location is like etc.

Thank you,

David
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Stopped there about 10 years ago - it was billed as a 4* hotel - absolutely dreadful! Reasonable sized rooms in very poor condition, chipped tiles in the bathroom and we found rodent killer behind a cupboard in the room! The rooms were also not clean, with lots of dust in evidence. Service in the hotel was virtually non existant. We were told the hotel was then part of the OMNI group but that they didn't use the name because it didn't come up to scratch. The hotel has been done up since then but to what standard I don't know. The location is very good however!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM

If you do a search above and on tripadvisor.com you'll find lots more reviews - mostly not great.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 12:16 PM

The location is fine, but I'm not so sure about the hotel. I considered it myself, but read the tripadvisor reviews and just didn't want to chance it. I realize that those reviews are not gospel, but the overwhelming majority reported the hotel to be dirty and run down. I can deal with a hotel being a little dated, but I don't want to pay for dirty carpets, dirty linens and moldy baths! Unless someone has stayed there recently and can report that the hotel has been remodeled, I would keep looking around. When are you going?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:23 AM
DSM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to visit NYC this November or next January. The rate I can get at the minute is approx $160 (incl taxes)per night. From reading other posts I thought this was a great rate for New York. Am I wrong? Or is the hotel so bad it explains the rate?

I can book into the Metropolitan (Doubletree) Hotel on Lexington Ave for approx $173 (inc taxes) per night. We've stayed there in the past and have enjoyed it. It's not luxurious by any means but the rooms were fine and the staff very friendly. I know that the hotel was recently refurbished, so I would have no hesitation going back.

I just thought it might be nice to try somewhere new.

Thanks again for your advice.

David