Outer Banks versus Hilton Head?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean for it to sound like a boxing match, just curious as to how they compare. I am very familiar w/Hilton Head having been there many times, but due to schedule conflicts we are going to have pick a different spot for our summer vacation next year and think the Outer Banks might be nice.

When I've visited sites renting OBX properties, they let you choose an area to stay in but I don't know one from the next. I've heard Nags Head is nice. Any other OBX areas you would recommend? We usually rent a house in Hilton Head and I see this seems to be a popular option in OBX as well.

I guess I'm just curious as to how OBX is different than Hilton Head - are the beaches nice? crowded? plenty of dining options? things to do?

I'll be doing lots of research myself as the time get nearer, but want to get an idea of what OBX is like to make sure it is a good option for our big family vacation.

Thanks!!
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:41 AM

The Outer Banks is a much larger area than HH. I'm not sure if there is a golf course on the OBX (but there is mini-golf).

I haven't been to HH in many, many years so I'll leave the comparisons to the true experts.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:04 AM

We went to Outer Banks one year and HH the next. Unfortunately, we were chased out of the Outer Banks by Hurricane Isabel, so we weren't there long.

Seems to me that the Outer Banks is a little more "remote" than HH, at least where we stayed. We were in Duck, which is the northern part of the Outer Banks. There were lots of houses to rent, which is what we did. Our place did not have a pool. There were restaurants there, but probably not as big a selection as HH. I did not see any nearby golf. The beach was very pretty, more narrow than in HH and not as crowded.

In HH, we rented a condo in a big complex. This gave us a pool and lots of nearby golf choices. The beach was more crowded, but not in a way that was bothersome. There were more family-friendly restaurants and also more nicer restaurants than in OBX. There was also more nearby stuff to do -- like go into Savannah or Beaufort for a day. The OBX has Kitty Hawk with its history.

I guess I think of OBX as more laid-back and relaxed -- more a "lay on the beach" type place and HH a little more active. Does that help?

We rented through resort quest at OBX.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Very helpful, thanks. From pictures on rental websites, I also notice that while Hilton Head is more lush w/greenery, the houses for rent in OBX seem to be right on the beach (no shade trees), is that correct?

I suppose we could still eat out in OBX but places are fewer and further between? With HH being a small island everything is pretty much right there.

BTW, we aren't golfers but the kids like mini-golf so as long as that is an option, we'll be fine!!
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:59 PM

That was our experience. You don't have to rent oceanfront of course, but there weren't a lot of shade trees. There were dunes and sea grass and then beach.

I didn't see a ton of mini golf in the Duck area -- it's a little quieter and less commercial than areas further south. There were several restaurants in the Duck area -- 12 or so? -- but may be more (and more chain-type places) further south in Nags Head/Kitty Hawk.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:19 PM

We have vacationed in the outer banks for many years. Sun Realty has some nice houses too. A couple of years ago we started going to HH and oh my, what a difference!
The beach: OBX: much smaller (narrower?) than in HH. Big waves for swimming, not great for small children
HH: Nice, hard packed sand great for castles, running and walking. Good water play for small kids, not as "wavey".
Shopping/Dining: OBX: Duck and Corolla are SO cute. Lots of neat shops and deli eats. Grocery is limited to food lion. Grrr.
HH: Has nicer grocery and tons of great shopping and eateries.
Activities: OBX is a laying around kind of place while HH is a more active, rent a bike or take a run place.
As for OBX:
I recommend Duck over Corolla, it is closer to the main drag and that two lane road can take forever with traffic. The houses are nicer (newer)that in Nags Head. We will visit North Myrtle this summer so we'll see where that fits in!
Just my two cents. Good Luck!