Outer Banks Supplies

Jun 27th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Outer Banks Supplies

I will be traveling to OBX next week and I am wondering if it would be a lot cheaper to bring a week's worth of diapers, baby food, formula, etc. rather than buying it at the local grocery store. I'd appreciate any helpful information.

TIA
Jun 27th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Where are you going? If you will travel through Kill Devil Hills, there are large markets there (Lion? Publix?). If Ocracoke--stop before you get there.
Jun 28th, 2007, 08:01 AM

I usually try to take as many "dry staples" as possible with me if only to cut back on the time I spend IN the store and OFF the beach. Prices will probably be similar to home at Food Lion but it will be PACKED with people if you go anytime other than after 10pm at night.
Jun 28th, 2007, 08:42 AM

I doubt it would be a lot *cheaper* to bring a week's worth of baby supplies but if you've got the space to pack the stuff, it'll be a lot more convenient. Where are you from?

Harris Teeter now has two stores in Kill Devil Hills and Corolla. Much better than Fool Lion.

Jun 28th, 2007, 08:43 AM

concur with OBXBum. If you are on Hatteras Island, there is a Food Lion at Avon, but lines are AWFUL most of Staurday. I pack dry goods, but also bring a cooler with enough stuff (milk, OJ, etc.) to last through Sunday breakfast. I go stock up Sunday morning.
Jun 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM

If you are driving your car from home, by all means save the vacation time for something other than shopping. Last thing I want to do while traveling, particularly with a toddler/baby is more of the stuff I do at home. If you are renting a car and have to pack all the stuff, I'd stop on the way in from the airport.

I've even gone so far as to ship a carton to the rental home and save me the hassle of shopping.
Jun 28th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Even coastal Carolina has entered the 21st Century with regards to shopping convenience. If you have a particular beer or wine you relish, I might bring that. Wine and beer varieties can be limited in some beach areas.
Jun 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM

You'll end up at the grocery store eventually, so just bring enough for a couple of days. There's plenty of stores there - WalMart (yuk), KMart, you name it.
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:48 PM

I'll second Carolyna's point about Hatteras Island. Last year, unusual circumstances forced us to go to the Avon store on Saturday evening. We were expecting it to be crowded, but that doesn't begin to describe what it was like. There were lines from every register approaching the back of the store. If you're in that area by chance, take enough to get through a couple days.
Jun 28th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Hi:

If you can come across the bridge before noon you shouldn't have a problem at the grocery store. We usually stop at the one on the right near Walmart (I can't think of the name Sea Foods maybe) and we rarely wait in a long line and the shelves are stocked. When we tried to shop at the Corrola Food Lion on Sunday the shelves were actually bare in many areas. I would go to one of the stores in Kill Devel hills or Kittty Hawk area, the stores in the outskirts are definetely more of a chance.