Orlando with 2 small children

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orlando with 2 small children

This is our first visit and I have no intention of trying to see everything with 2 young kids (4 and 19 months)in tow. Any suggestions on places I should absolutetly see (places the little ones will enjoy the most).
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:44 AM

I recommend taking the train ride to Mickey's Toontown where everything is scaled down to be eye level to a small child. The train ride will be fun for your 19 month old and he or she will enjoy the attractions there. I am a big fan of Disneyworld and Disneyland, but it can be an overwhelming and exhausting experience for children, and adults, too. Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom is also a good place to spend time with your 19 month old. Many of the rides and attractions certain children, but since I don't know your children I certainly can't make that call. The best advice I can give you is to try and relax and enjoy the time together in a new environment. It's wise of you not to try and see everything, especially since they're not going to remember the experience. Take many photographs and and or video so that you can share your memories of the trip with them when they are older.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:46 AM

I should have proofread before I clicked. I meant to write that many of the rides and attractions frighten certain children because of the dark, sudden loud noises, etc.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:50 AM

HI -
How about a half day at the beach? Depending on when you are planning on arriving, kids love the sand, surf, and you might even spot a dolphin or two.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:47 PM

I took my 2yr old WDW this summer and again in January. His favorite rides are Small World, Adventures of Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, Peter Pan and Playhouse Disney show (MGM). He also loves the parades.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend staying at a monorail resort, Contemporary, Polynesian or Grand Floridian. It will make the commute to Magic Kingdom so much easier, you just wheel your stroller right onto the monrail, no need to fold it up, like for the buses.

I would definately go to Magic Kingdom when it opens, you can get so much accomplished in the first 2 hrs, it's amazing. Plan on napping/resting at the hotel midday, and taking in a swim, if the weather is right. The pool at the Polynesian was great, it is zero-entry so you do not have to carry the kids all the time in the water. They also have pop-jets, where my son would play for 30min, and you can just sit-back and keep an eye on him.

For a lot more information try www.disboards.com It is a message board devoted to WDW.

Have a wonderful vacation!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 01:55 PM

If your children are Dr. Seuss fans, I highly recommend the Dr. Seuss area (Seussville???) at Islands of the Adventure (a fairly new Universal theme park). The rest of the park is geared more towards older children/adults/teens, but there are several fabulous rides for the under 5 crowd. You might also want to consider MGM Studios as they have a Playhouse Disney show and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. Toon Town at Magic Kingdom is also great for the young ones. I suggest visiting the theme parks in the morning only and then heading back to your hotel room for naps and playtime in the pool. Don't try to cram lots of things in so that you "get your money's worth." A few hours a day of seeing the delight on your children's faces will make it all worthwhile. Have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:54 PM

If your children are Dr. Seuss fans, I highly recommend the Dr. Seuss area (Seussville???) at Islands of the Adventure (a fairly new Universal theme park). The rest of the park is geared more towards older children/adults/teens, but there are several fabulous rides for the under 5 crowd. You might also want to consider MGM Studios as they have a Playhouse Disney show and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. Toon Town at Magic Kingdom is also great for the young ones. I suggest visiting the theme parks in the morning only and then heading back to your hotel room for naps and playtime in the pool. Don't try to cram lots of things in so that you "get your money's worth." A few hours a day of seeing the delight on your children's faces will make it all worthwhile. Have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:51 AM

If you need a break from the theme parks and are near The Peabody on International Drive, take your kids to see the famous ducks.

They come down in a special elevator from the penthouse where they live each morning. When they get to the lobby, a red carpet is spread before them and they march through the lobby and into a fountain. There's a duck handler that talks with the kids and music. It's really wonderful to watch the kids' expressions! It's a good "down time" thing to do.

And, if you're there, don't miss the Bee Line Diner. It's 50s style and the food is WONDERFUL! (Homemade apple smoked sausage, Belgian waffles, old-fashion pies, etc.). We always make a point to stop at The Peabody to see the ducks and eat at the diner.

My sister (who has three kids; ages 5, 3, and six months) swears by Sea World. She says there is a lot to keep the kids entertained. They did the "Dinner with Shamu" buffet and were really impressed.

As for Walt Disney World, many of the rides (even those aimed at children) can be scary because they are dark and filled with loud and unrecognizable sounds. I'd suggest the open-air rides such as the Carousel, Dumbo, Aladdin, and the Tea Cups.

Have fun!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the information!