Reload this Page >

Disney-Animal Kingdom or MGM?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:02 AM
cal

Going to Disney next month. What would you recommend for a family with young children under 5: Animal Kingdom or MGM? If we only go to one, which one is better for young kids?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Beth2

For kids under 5, I think the animals would be a big draw; there is quite a zoo-like atmosphere for strolling at AK. Highlights would include the dino playpark, safari ride, and Bug's Life 3-D.
At MGM, they'd enjoy the "Honey I Shrunk" playpark and Muppet 3-D, but I don't know of any "kiddie" rides.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Dick

We took our 5 year old grandaughter to WDW and I would defintely pick MGM over Animal Kingdom. We had a multi park pass and did both.

There are more attractions that would appeal to a pre-schooler. They are probaly familiar with Bear in the Big Blue House™, Rolie Polie Olie and would like the live show.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Emily

Our 2 yr old loved MGM! Playhouse Disney show, Little Mermaid show, Muppets, Great Movie Ride & the parade was fantastic, he loved it! Also, the adults can take turns & go on RocknRoller Coaster & Tower of Terror, if you are so inclined.
You can see animals at zoos anywhere. I know the AK is a lot more beautiful & interesting than a zoo, but if you can only go to one, I would recommend MGM.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:00 PM
tweedy

CAl,

I hope you are not going right around Thanksgiving. It is so crowded that week, not sure if the kids would enjoy or get to see much. That is the busiest time of year at Disney and the lines are LONG and the crowds are huge.

Other than that, we LOVE Disney, lol and try to go at least once a year (and we don't even have kids...yet, lol) I think it does bring out the kid in all of us.

I think I would try and do Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom, with a break in the middle of the day for the kids to relax and hit the pool.

Animal Kingdom in my opinion is more geared for older kids, the Magic Kingdom would be better for the younger ones. Animal Kingdom you are walking around to see not alot and I think some of the "rides" like Bugs Life might be a bit scarey to some of the younger ones.

Hope this helps. Have a great time...oh and you MUST do the Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory at Downtown Disney, that will be a big hit with the whole family.

tweedy

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:40 PM
tothetop

to the top

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 02:14 AM
love

Another vote for Animal Kingdom if you only have time to do one patk!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:42 AM
ilisa

We took our 3 year old in May, and would definitely recommend Animal Kingdom over MGM, especially if the kids like animals. Our daughter loved the safari (went on it twice), as well as the trails where you can get pretty up close views of the gorillas, birds and tigers, as well as other creatures. You can take the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch. They have a small petting zoo there. Festival of the Lion King at AK is probably one of the best shows at Disney and should not be missed. The one thing I would hesitate on at AK is taking young children into the show, "It's Tough to Be a Bug." It is an animated 3-D show. Even though it is animated, it can still be very scary for kids.