Orlando Help with Toddler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - traveling to Orlando in early February with my 3 1/2 year old. My husband will be in meetings all day, so it will just be my daughter and me.

I'm not ready to visit Disney with her. I've heard horror stories from friends whose kids were very scared by the big heads, and just exhausted from all the energy at the park. She's also not familiar with all the movies, so I don't think it will be as exciting for her.

We will only have Friday and part of Saturday -- any ideas of a good activity that I can do with my daughter? Rught now, I'm leaning towards Sea World. Other suggestions? Thanks!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
GoTravel

LOL! Kids scared by the big heads! That is funny!

I was going to suggest Sea World. I think she'd be fascinated.

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:07 PM

Yes, even when they are familiar with Disney movies, seeing those big, tall characters can be scary for little kids!

Yes, definitely SeaWorld - a great choice.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM

If she's not Disney obsessed, Sea World might be a much better choice. It's not nearly as overwhelming as Disney, and is really a very superior zoo with some rides, as opposed to total sensory overload, which Disney can be. I was glad we waited until ours was a preteen to bring him. I cannot imagine the Magic Kingdom with really little kids. Eveywhere we went, we passed sacked out, dazed, overwhelmed toddlers. Didn't see any character freakouts, but many, many meltdowns, and children asleep in some highly unlikely places. We did Discovery Cove without dolphin tickets, and loved it, but it is expensive, even without the dolphins, which your daughter would be too young for anyway. It also might be kind of cold for that too. If you really want to get away cheaply, just walking around Downtown Disney or one of the resort areas is enough to keep many children amused, and is a nice little taste of Disney. There are a couple of nice children's rides in Downtown Disney and lovely toy stores. This would work best with children too young to realize that this is not the amusement park.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM

Yes - I have seen little kids terrified of the characters - actually screaming in terror.

If your kids are into that, know all about them - and are outgoing and prepared they'll be fine. But to a small child not familiar with the characters and/or shy and/or not prepared they can be horrifying.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Made me feel better about my decision. Think that we'll have a wonderful day at Sea World.

We arrive around dinner time on Thursday - any good restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Good food mandatory -- but a place that's also welcoming to kids would be ideal. Preferably not a chain restaurant - if we can avoid it.

I'm excited!! Been years since I've been to Orlando - I have happy memories.

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:44 PM

I live in Orlando, and I will be the one who says that you should really try going to the Magic Kingdom with your daughter. A child that age would LOVE it! I just went again with my older daughters, and it was still great after all these years. The characters aren't so prevalent that you couldn't avoid them if you wanted to. SeaWorld is a LOT of walking around and sitting watching shows for a toddler. Not that much of an active park--except for the water play area. I've been there for many field trips, and I find it way more exhausting to navigate than the Magic Kingdom--everything is very spaced out in that park.

I think all the fun rides spaced more close together at the Magic Kingdom would be better. Anyway, just my two cents to try the Magic Kingdom. My recommended rides: Buzz Lightyear (you get to shoot at targets with a light laser and rack up points--really fun--we went on it 3 times!) Monsters Inc. (funny improv show with audience participation--different every time!) Aladin's Magic Carpet (like Dumbo but with a much shorter line!). Disney's Philharmagic (great 3-d musical movie--really wonderful animation and a way to get out of the heat). And of course, don't miss It's a Small World. Just do these rides, and your daughter will be thrilled. Then buy her a princess costume and some popcorn and you're good to go home! When you see how much your daughter loves it, you will probably love it too! And just leave early if she gets tired... Have fun whatever you decide!