universal or disney??

Search

universal or disney??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
universal or disney??

for all those who have been to both, what would u suggest? We HAVE been to disney, and were planning to do universal, islands of adventure, wetnwild and seaworld this summer. However, ive been reading such bad reviews about universal, islands, and even wetnwild and i was wondering if doing disney again wouldnt be more fun, though more expensive. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:22 AM

We love Universal and IOA. That is where my money is going.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Are there fairly small kids involved? We went to Universal when our youngest was 7 and that was really too young...there was a lot that was too scary for her.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:01 PM

we had a 7 year old there last year, he went on everything. I guess it depends on the kids.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM

How old are the kids? Older kids will enjoy IOA and its emphasis on thrill rides. Younger kids or those who prefer gentler rides will like Disney better.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM

I guess I should clarfy what my 7 year old was scared of at Universal...she will ride anything, as far as a thrill ride is concerned. But lots of rides are frightening, e.g. mummies, dinosaurs, loud noises in the Terminator, etc.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM

My kids liked Universal more than Disney. Since you've been to Disney, I think you'll really enjoy going to Universal.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM

As others have said, Disney or Universal is a toss up depending on the age of the children. I would say that Universal is more geared towards teenagers however. I do thoroughly recommend Sea World though. If you haven't been there or Busch Gardens, I'd be sure to see both of those. For my money, Busch Gardens is the best park in Florida.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

the youngest is 9...she's quite brave but ok for example she cried during pirates of the caribbean at disney. so maybe she should just steer away from ones like the mummy? the other 2 are 13 and 16 so that will be fine. but what about the shows...i hear at universal and IOA theyre pretty..adult jokey
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Disneyland now consists of 2 theme parks. Disneyland and California Adventure. Disneyland is more for the younger kids while California Adventure appeals to the older kids, teenagers and adults. Calif Adventure is a theme park that is themed around the state of CA. the rides and attractions are more "adult". your Disneyland ticket will get you in at this park as well (last time i checked) if you have not been to California Adventure and considering your children's age, Disney might be a good option for you. the entrance for both Universal Studios and Disneyland are about the same but Universal Studios usually offer $$ off coupons. you should also look into buying an Entertainment Book ( either Orange County or LA edition ) as there's usually a Universal Studios coupon there good for 4 admissions. you can get the 2007 edition now for about $10. hope you have a great vacation in California !
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Disneyland now consists of 2 theme parks. Disneyland and California Adventure. Disneyland appealsto both young, very young and not too young, while California Adventure appeals to the older kids because of the rides. Calif Adventure is themed around the state of CA. the rides and attractions are more "adult". your Disneyland ticket will get you in at this park as well (last time i checked) if you have not been to California Adventure and considering your children's age, Disney might be a good option for you. the entrance for both Universal Studios and Disneyland are about the same but Universal Studios usually offer $$ off coupons. you should also look into buying an Entertainment Book ( either Orange County or LA edition ) should you decide on going to Univ Studios. there's usually a Universal Studios coupon there good for 4 admissions. you can get the 2007 edition now for about $10. hope you have a great vacation in California !
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 05:06 AM

I would do Universal and IOA since you've done Disney. But stay on property so your room key is a front of the line pass. Maybe you want to do a Disney water park rather than Wet n Wild. I haven't done WnW but my understanding is that it isn't really themed. The Disney water parks are - and are a blast.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM

We just got back and we did Disney, SeaWorld, and Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure. My youngest child is 10 and a bit of a thrill seeker. She was not tall enough for Universal's Dueling Dragons or the Hulk. We had the passes that allowed 7 days admission w/ the purchase of a 2 Day / 2 Park pass but - honestly - we cannot imagine going to Universal for seven days. We literally did everything in the park in two days.

Are you looking at the flex pass? Our travel agent did the math and we saved more money by pre-buying our tickets seperately because of the promotions going on.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM

You asked about the adult humor at the Universal shows: We'd just come from 5 days of squeaky clean Disney shows so I was a little surprised by some of the humar at Universal shows. Even my college aged kids were surprised at the Beetlejuice Rock & Roll Graveyard Revue when Beetlejuice asked a lady "Every made it with a dead guy? Are you sure?" That show had the most sexual humor.

Coming in second would be the Horror Make-Up Show - however, that show was so funny and so well done that I consider it a "must-see".

Sinbad was more slap-stick.

Blues Brothers was all music and a lot of fun but incredibly hot - I don't know how the performers keep from collapsing.