Taking Small Children to Disney World

Old Jul 16th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking Small Children to Disney World

Interested to hear what people think is the earliest age that you should take a small child to Disney World. We have a two year old and are dying to take her, but unsure if she would get much out of it at this age. Any advice?
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 01:14 PM

I wouldn't take a child until they were old enough to walk on their own. Our children were 5 and 8 when we took them. I think the 8-year-old got more out of the experience, but the 5-year-old did fine with the heat, crowds and sensory overload.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally think 2 yo is at least 18 months/2 years too young. Of course you see toddlers there, but they mostly aren't having that much fun. Well, spurts of fun between long, uncomfortable naps in the stroller and melt downs.

At that age DW is more for the parents than for the kids - or is if they are honest about it.

About 5yo might be the best age for a first visit -- unless the child has older siblings.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 02:01 PM

I Agee with 5+
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 02:08 PM

My son went as a baby and lots after that... bout yearly

enjoyed it all we stayed at the Polynesian and mostly

Monorailed to the Magic Kingdom best for the kids and

all that was there at the time... Breakfast with Mickey etc

was a giant hit as were "Its A Small World After All"

Spinning Tea Cups Flying Dumbos all good kids rides...

Rolled him around in a stroller he had a blast...

travelforkids.com good info

wdwinfo.com good info

So personally go by all means but stay flexible...

Plenty of times for naps frequent breaks...

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM

allears.com little princesses love these and Ariel the Mermaid

We have just returned home from a "magical" trip to Disney World. Our 2 1/2 year old daughter and I participated in the Princess Storybook Breakfast. It was incredible! I was concerned that she might be a little afraid of the "princesses" but they were so wonderful with all of the children that she did very well. The food was great, but I didn't care about that a whole lot once I saw the sparkle and excitement in my daughter's eyes. I certainly recommend this to anyone with a "princess" in their own family. (Rhonda, July 2005)
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM

allears.net/tp/mk/mk.htm - CachedSimilar
May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place... a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ...

Try again really missed that link badly...
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 02:54 PM

Of course, so much depends on the individual child, but I took my 4 1/2 year old nephew there and thought it would be really tough taking a child too much younger than that. It's crowded, there's the overstimulation factor, the long day - it's a lot for the 2 to 5 year-olds to handle.

BTW, we were in Magic Kingdom for two days and all he remembers is the parade and being scared by the skeleton in Pirates of the Caribbean!
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM

We took our kids, ages 7 and 4, because I had a conference at the Contemporary to attend. Our littlest was pretty worn out by the long visits to the parks. It was good we were staying at the Contemporary so could take the monorail easily back and forth for naps.

I'd say 7 was about the perfect age!
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Amy

She won't get much out of it in the form of long-term memories, but your memories will be priceless. Just be sure to gear it to a two year old's schedule and loves; my two year old niece would have stayed at some of the spots forever (especially the kid-friendly computers) but others didn't rate much more than a minute.

It's great fun with five to eight year olds, but (from personal experience) two really isn't too young--done with care!
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM

This kind of trip is a big financial investment and most kids that age would be at least as happy doing playground type things - rather than a full-on mobbed with people and heat experience - 90% of which they are too young to understand. With a child that young you need to visit in short bursts then go back to your hotel for naps or just casual playtime.'

I wouldn't go with a child younger than 5 - I have seen too many toddlers screaming in discomfort, fear, exhaustion and plain boredom.

At our hotel - Hilton - there was a modified character breakfast and 2 little kids at the next table - about 2 and 4 - were terrified of these giant creatures that came over to them. They were able to quiet the 4 year old but had to take the little one outside she was so scared.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM

We took our daughter (now age 17) there at age 2.5,4, 5, and 9. Plus two cruises. Loved every single one of them. If you can't afford to go now and then at least one more time when she is a little older then I would wait.

Our daughter had a blast on her first trip. I would do a character meal when you know she will be awake. Like maybe a breakfast meal. If she likes characters she will like seeing them at Disney and other places. The waterparks are great at that age as well. They have special rides just for them. Riding dumbo and the other kiddie rides is special.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM

You might also look into Disneyland. It is smaller and doesn't have Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and MGM. So it might be just the ticket for like a 2 day type thing and save World for later.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM

You might also look into Disneyland. It is smaller and doesn't have Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and MGM. So it might be just the ticket for like a 2 day type thing and save World for later.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:53 AM

She should be old enough to actually have a favorite Disney Princess! Seriously - if you are looking for HER to get something out of it, she'd get just as big a kick being at the beach. But if it is something that you, the adults want to do, then take her. I've been with my own children as young as 6 months, because we were taking the older ones. I went last year with my 2 year old grandson and his older sisters. The girls (4 & 6) were absolutely enthralled though the 4 year old got tired quickly. She used a stroller by the end of the day. They still talk about it and are excited to go back next year. Our grandson had a great time, but that was mainly because he had doting grandparents ready to take him back to the hotel for a swim and a nap while the girls did more with their parents. His favorite part of the trip was the pool. I've advised my daughter NOT to take her 2 year old unless we all go again. They (the adults) are not that into Disney themselves so,they were mainly wondering if it would be a memorable experience for their little girl.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 07:05 AM

We took our daughter the first time when she was 2 years and 3 months. It was a fabulous trip! We went in October so heat wasn't a factor and neither were crowds. She loved the characters, the rides, everything about it. DH and I took turns taking her back to the hotel in the afternoon for naps while the other person did things that we couldn't do with her. Does she remember it? Of course not, but our memories of it are precious. We went again when she was nearly 6 and her brother was 2 and a half. Our son loved it as well, although he hid his face on some of the dark rides.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 08:13 AM

Now that I see this is a year old question I wonder if OP went with her daughter?