Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Orlando vacation without a car - can it be done?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Vicki

Hi, We're just in the middle of planning our first trip to Orlando next May, and we're trying to decide whether we actually need to rent a car, or whether we just book a hotel that provides transport to most of the major attractions, and use public transport too - is this possible, or is it just a pipe dream?

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:26 PM
ann

It really depends on where you are staying. We were in Orlando in April[first time also]and we stayed on international drive and found it no problem to get around on public transport.It costs a dollar a day to ride on the I-ride trolley.If you want to go to Disney you ride the trolley to Seaworld and then change over to a Lynx bus also a dollar, which takes you right into Disney.Its a very good and cheap way to get about

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Janey

I think if your main goal is to be at the main attractions, being without a car is easily done. I think Int'l Drive is the place to stay. There is a trolley that runs up & down and lots of restaurants & even mini golf to keep you busy in the evenings.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:58 PM
linda

Contact Mears transportation to take you from airport to hotel if there's no shuttle. Orlando's very easy without a vehicle!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Postal

If you want to see the attractions and NOT Orlando the city, which is several miles north of the attraction area, you won't need a car. But personally, I wouldn't want to be stuck without one.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:33 AM
r-travels

I stayed at Quality Inn 9000 "I"Drive last January, and I wish I hadn't wasted money on a rental car.

After arriving at the hotel, I never used it until I left. I found I could have taken Mears Transportation from the airport for $14, or could have taken the #42 Lynx bus to I-Drive for $1. If you're traveling REAL light - eg:1 bag - consider the Lynx bus, but if you've a bit of luggage, then check out Mears. (remove the x in my eddress to reply)