Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cheapest means of transport from Orlando airport of Disney Resort for family?

Notices

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to find the most economical means of transport from the airport to our Disney Resort. We would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 06:57 AM

Probably Mears shuttle service. However, depending on how many people, a cab or lemo would be about the same. There was 5 of us and a lemo was the same price or a bit cheaper than Mears or a cab.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 09:30 AM

You might consider renting a car ahead of time through Priceline. My husband and I did this last summer in Orlando, and it came in very handy. We did not stay on WDW property on this trip, but our hotel had a daily shuttle. However, we had been to WDW in the past and stayed on property, with our own car. Each time we've been, we've really liked having our own transportation to get around b/c WDW buses or hotel shuttles can be slow at times. It just takes a while to pick up people at every bus stop and drop people off. It's also nice to be able to go places outside of WDW on your own to save some $, such as grocery stores, cheaper restaurants, etc. We've used pricline for car rentals twice in the past 3 years and have gotten good rates for a week's use of the car.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 11:15 AM

Yes, renting a car may be cheaper than using Mears shuttle depending on the hotel you're staying at. Mears is around 12 pp ea way. If you want to use Mears to visit theme parks I tink the price is around the same. When we planned our vacation it ended up being more expensive to use Mears as opposed to having our own car. Hope this helps. Have fun!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 01:27 PM

We've done this as well (we've been 5 times in the last 6 yrs), rent a car through National car rental and drive it from the airport to WDW property. National is the only rental car company that has a drop off on WDW property. While we rented a car for our whole stay one time, I would not recommend it unless you were planning on being off property much. If you're staying on property, I disagree w/ Lee's assessment of the WDW bus/transportation system. The WDW boats and buses run often and will take you anywhere on property you need to go (including downtown Disney). Enjoy! PS: Best tip I can give is to be at the Park(s) when they open. By doing so, you can get on and off most the major rides by the time the real crowds show up around 10:30-11:00.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:58 PM

Being an Orlando resident, I would think you should rent a car. The attractions area (including Universal, Sea World, Wet n Wild, and all of Disney) are very spread out, and it's awfully nice to have the ability to just take off and go somewhere else.