Orlando Vacation

Jan 6th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Kathy

Orlando Vacation

We are going to Orlando for the first time in June (mixing business with pleasure) so we can't change when we will be there. We will be doing Disney, Universal and Kennedy Space Center, is it better to stay on or off the Disney properties. Any suggestions where to stay?

Jan 6th, 2003, 10:05 AM
bennie

WDW hotels are very nice in terms of atmosphere but they can be expensive and a little short on amenities unless you stay at a "deluxe" hotel. There are many hotels off-site that are very nice and less expensive but aren't "unique" like WDW hotels can be.

Pools at WDW are particularly nice and have great slides and theming. Since you'll be there in June, it will be hot and if you have kids, the pool will be critical. So if you have kids stay on-site at one of the hotels with a great pool. The deluxe hotel with the best pool is the Yacht Club/Beach Club. The best moderate pool is at Coronado Springs.

If you don't have kids, you might consider staying off-site to save money and to give you easier access to the non-Disney stuff that you'll be doing.

Also check out wdwig.com for lots of pictures of the hotels.

Jan 6th, 2003, 12:40 PM
xx

I would highly reccomend the new Red Lion Universal on Universal Blvd. which opened June 2002. (866) 864-8627) It has a great location at Universal Blvd. and Sand Lake Rd. which is exit 74A off I4. The beds and pillows are fantastic and staff is very nice also.

I was impressed enough with it that we are holding a reunion there this year.

Jan 6th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Hehe

The Red Lion Inn, he he he.

Jan 6th, 2003, 01:07 PM
sonya

Go to www.disboards.com and you can get lots and lots of input on this subject.

Jan 6th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Mina

There are a ton of hotels on International Drive as well. If there's a convention in town, they may be pricey (or even sold out) but possibly a good deal if there's nothing going on. However, your kids would probably enjoy staying at a Disney Resort hotel, as they are more fun. The I-drive hotels are business-y.

Jan 6th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Nikki

If you are going to Universal, I would highly recommend staying on the Universal property for the nights you plan to spend there. The hotels on the property allow you to skip the lines to get on the theme park attractions. This is a major benefit, and the hotels are terrific. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel, fantastic.

Jan 6th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Chris

I would suggest staying in downtown disney. Wide variety of hotels are offered and you can use the free shuttles to get to the disney resorts. Plus, there are many restaurants in downtown disney as well as in a shopping center (crossroads??) just a short walk away. The wyndham palace is probably the best of the bunch.