Orlando Hotels - No Kids

May 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Orlando Hotels - No Kids

Are there any hotels in Orlando that are for adults? My husband and I are sick of not being able to use the pool because of screaming children running around, jumping etc., to say nothing of the yelling and screaming that goes on at dinner. We have stayed at a number of places in Orlando, (Ritz, Marriott Grande Lakes) same thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
May 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM

One option is the Portofino hotel. The kids are at the big pool with waterslide. You have two other quieter options.

http://www.universalorlando.com/ht_pbh_recreation.html
May 29th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Uhm, it's Orlando. You know, the home of Disney World.

There is a Westin near Downtown Orlando. I think it's called the Grand Bohemian. I've never stayed there but I've passed it on the way to relatives who live nearby.

When looking to cash in Starwood Points this hotel had the fewest amenities for children.

Good luck.,

BTW, have you thought about Vegas instead?
May 29th, 2007, 08:07 AM

If I did not have children I certainly would not stay at a Universal Property
May 29th, 2007, 08:10 AM

travelbug, have you stayed at the Portofino? How was YOUR afternoon at one of the smaller pools?
May 29th, 2007, 08:14 AM

I stayed at the Portofino last August for a few nights. The place was PACKED with kids. While the Bice restaurant was mostly adults, there certainly were plenty of families.

Let's face, if you go to Orlando when schools are on vacation, avoiding children is like trying to avoid tourists near Radio City at Christmas. It just ain't happening.
May 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM

No I have not been to the Portofino but I have been to the other 2.

I would not spend that kind of money to go to a Universal Property. There are a lot of nicer hotels for the money. There are still a lot of children in the hotel and at the pools.

As I said I would not go to a Universal Property if I did not have children.
May 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM

So, where is your suggestion for the OP? An Orlando hotel without kids? What is your nicer option at less money that offers a pool without "screaming children running around"?
May 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Check out the Celebration Hotel. It is very adult oriented, especially good for golfers. I've been there several times and have not noticed any kids.
http://www.celebrationhotel.com/default.asp
May 29th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Personally, I would not stay at the grand Bohemain. It is far away from attractions and it is not that nice of a hotel if your looking for a relaxing luxury weekend. My husband and I stay there when we go to orlando to see bands playing in the downtown area. There are definitely not many kids though and it is a party hotel, but not my idea of a luxury resort. I still think you are best off with the Portifino at the smaller pool. The spa there is wonderful and so are the resteraunts. You could also try the Gaylord hotel. There are children at the main mool, but the place is very big and you can avoid them at the smaller pool. They have a lovely spa and great resteraunts as well.
May 29th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I know someone that stayed at the Celebration and they were very happy with their stay. I think it was cheaper than the Porofino too.
May 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM
GoTravel

The Universal Hotels are FABULOUS without kids.

We've stayed at The Royal Pacific and it too was definitely an adults hotel but we were there while kids were in school.

May 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM

I've stayed at both (Celebration and Portofino) several times. If I were looking for what the OP seems to be looking for - a resort hotel with nice pools, I'd pick Portofino.

Here's a pic of the Celebration pool -
http://www.celebrationhotel.com/recr...recreation.asp

One pool almost an island in a lake vs. three to choose from at Portofino (including two quiet ones)?

BTW, "The Celebration Hotel is proud to be a Walt Disney World Good Neighbor® Hotel,..."

I'm missing why a Disney hotel is a better suggestion for the OP than the Portofino.

Please be aware that the vibe, the noise level and the atmosphere could not be more different between the Hard Rock and Portofino - even though they are both Universal hotels and across the road from one another. If you've stayed at the Hard Rock, you are not going to have the same experience at the Portofino.

I DO love the tea served at Celebration though. I finally called the lobby bar and asked for the name and have sent Mighty Leaf tea as gifts. GREAT tea bags. www.mightyleaf.com
May 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. When we stay at the Ritz in Naples (the one on the beach not the golf resort) they have one pool for families and a "adult pool" that is fantastic. No loud music is allowed, etc. I have stayed at the Celebration Hotel for a wedding and enjoyed it, but the pool was very tiny.
May 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Please let us know where you stayed and if you enjoyed it.

Goood luck
May 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM

I need a hotel in Vegas, but w/no gamblers or smokers...can anyone help ??
May 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM

The Signature at Las Vegas is non-gambling and non-smoking.

I didn't "get" in your OP that you were looking for a fancy or large pool. No, Celebration doesn't have a huge one, but it is quiet! Love the food there, too. Of course it's a "Disney" friendly place with shuttle service, etc. Celebration was BUILT by Disney!!
May 29th, 2007, 07:02 PM

We just returned from a week at the Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando near Sea World. It's a huge, sprawling condo/suite golf resort and the crowd didn't seem to have many kids. We had a small pool directly outside our window and noise was never an issue. Request a unit away from the huge central pool area. There are smaller more quiet pools scattered throughout the resort.

The Grande Vista has a couple on-site dining options. Many other restaurants are within a 10-20 minute drive.

Another suggestion: travel when school is more likely to be in session. Orlando in summer equals kids, no matter where you stay.

BTW, Grande Vista is a timeshare condo resort but also rents out rooms nightly through the Marriott website. If you own a timeshare and are a member of Interval International, I know you can get some fabulous weekly deals at the Grande Vista. Just for kicks I checked the Interval getaway rates for this week and the next two weeks and it was just $299 -- for the entire week.
May 30th, 2007, 04:03 AM

I have to agree that Portofino Bay could be a good choice, if the OP is going when school is in session. Otherwise, I really think the OP is asking for a lot. An Orlando hotel without kids in the pool.

I've stayed at Portofino Bay several times and we never found the pools to be overrun with kids. We were the only ones in the Villa Pool at the end of August. It is a beautiful property and you don't have to acknowledge Universal at all.

Good luck to the OP. I hope you find what you are looking for.
May 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM

The Coronado Springs gets a lot of business conferences, so it is a little less child-oriented than some of the other hotels. Also, there are several pools scattered throughout the property, and if you stay in a cabana building (each has its own small pool), you are more likely to have fewer children around. However, this is still Orlando, so it is impossible to completely escape noisy children. No matter what hotel you select, there will be a lot of children around. The best you can do is minimize the situation, not eliminate it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO