Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Orlando - any fishing trips in the area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:13 PM
elmarie

Hi, we will be in Orlando for 7 days in December (we are from South Africa). We will spend 4 days in Disneyworld parks but I would like to arrange a surprise fishing outing for my husband and 11 year old son (an ardent fisherman). Tackle and stuff will have to be included in the trip. Something nice but not a killer where cost is concerned will be great. Any advice?

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Cindy

That sounds like a good idea, but Orlando is located pretty much in the center of the state. You can go east to the Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach area(about a 45 minute drive and easy to navigate) and find quite an assortment of charter or group fishing boats. Try a search on the net for the Cocoa Beach area, I think some of them have websites you can explore. Good luck and have fun!

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 04:26 AM
HHHRRR

You might try researching the Clearwater area on the west coast as well. In the winter months you may find that the Gulf of Mexico offers better fishing conditions than the Atlantic ocean on the East coast. It is pretty much the same drive time wise East or West.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Fish

Here is today's fishing forecast:
Fish inside the port at Cape Canaveral for plenty of flounder. Best action has come at night just off the rocks. Use mullet fingerlings for best results. Sheepshead are both inside the port and in the surf. Fish near docks inside the port, using live shrimp and sand fleas. Offshore fishing should pick up as water clears. Expect dolphin and wahoo to show up near weed lines, hitting ballyhoo.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 06:19 AM
HHHRRR

This limk may help.
http://www.beachchamber.com/

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 01:12 PM
OTown

Try reading the Orlando Sentinel newspaper online and look thru their fishing section:
www.orlandosentinel.com