Sandals Resorts - Would you ever?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:19 PM
darvy

Sandals Resorts - Would you ever?

Hi,

I've been seeing these commercials for Sandals Resorts lately. The ads are so incredibly cheesy. But I was thinking today: "Maybe they're not so bad?" Maybe they just have a bad marketing program?

Anyway - has anyone ever been? Are they nice? Cheesy? I'm the kind of gal that doesn't like real mainstream resorts, but hey, if it's nice, I'm game...

-darvy

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Beary

No. I wouldn't stay there and they have been getting horrible reviews lately.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Beary

Sorry, meant to add, check out the caribbean boards. Tons and tons of negative reports. Plus, they are very expensive.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Honara

We stayed at Sandals in Ochos Rios. It was a very fun time, but we were with a group of very fun people. The rooms were average, the liquor was not premium, but its all you can drink, so we had extra shots. The food was average. But the price was reasonable. And Jamaica was beautiful. Our companions had been to the Bahamas Sandals and said it was much better.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:26 PM
CaL

DO NOT go. Speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that what you see in the commercials is not what you get. It's all slick marketing with little follow through.

My husband and I had never seen their commercials before going. A couple of months after we got back from their property in Negril, we happened to catch one on TV. We watched it in complete silence. When it was over, we both looked at each other and started laughing. It would have been nice if we could have gone to the imaginary Sandals resort advertised on TV, but it was not to be, and we were stuck with mediocre rooms, food, drinks, service, beach, you name it. It was nice to spend some time together, but we could have gotten much better somewhere else at a lower price.

Don't fall for the advertising, save your money.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Mike

Sandals and Beaches and their ilk are for 1) novice travellers who don't know any better, 2) people who simply can't muster the ambition to actually plan a trip on their own, 3) people who would be happy on a Carnival cruise (don't mind very mediocre accommodations, food, service etc as long as it's one price and unlimited quantities).

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
chuck

Mike,

your attempt at a condescending response suffers just one little problem:

You have either been to a Sandals or Beaches or you have not.

If you have been, in which of your categories (1, 2, or 3) do you belong.

If you have not been, upon what basis are you giving advice to others about these resorts?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:03 AM
x

oooooooooooooo Mike is busted. A thinking man like Chuck on this board? Wow.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:53 AM
My

Me, no, personally I wouldn't go near the place, I like laid back and low key, and that place looks like anything but.

On the other hand, it looks like a great spot for kids or a family trip. That I might go for.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 01:16 PM
xxx

I'll readily admit I've never been to a Sandals Resort,but good friends went to the one in Jamaica because they got a very special deal and could sneak away for an extra week. They left after three days, saying it was worth the lost money not to have to stay there. Fortunately they could change their air tickets for only $ 50 each. They said and I quote, "It was like being trapped in a Jerry Springer show." They thought it was the lowest class place they'd ever been -- and to make it clear, they really don't travel all that much or that expensively.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Tom

Darvy:

Sandals resorts are discriminatory: end of story. They are the 21st century equivalent of "members only" clubs from the fifties and sixties (ever see the movie 'Gentleman's Agreement'?).

Although many people don't know it, anybody spending money at these "resorts" is inadvertantly supporting discrimination.

Tom

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Kath

I have been seriously considering the Beaches Resort in Turks and Caicos, which I believe is a Sandals property. It looks so nice for kids, but I guess I could be fooled by the ads like you say. Anyone been there?

I'm curious who they discriminate against. They look like they'll take money from anyone ...??? What's the scoop?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 05:07 PM
mike

Nice attempt, chucksplawn, but you've struck out.
I went to Sandals once, over 10 years ago when I was just beginning to get enough money to travel outside of the US. I learned my lesson. Never again will I be fooled by these places.
So, I'm in 'group 1', and proud to say I've learned from my experiences.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 05:52 PM
xxx

They definitely discriminate against same sex couples. I know a couple of men who had reservations at a Sandals in Jamaica and were turned away when they tried to check in. Their travel agent had assured them there would be no problem but there was. Instead they were transferred to another Sandals property...

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:18 PM
xxx

Yes. My partner and I made reservations there. We received a letter from them asking if we were same sex. One of us has a name that could be male or female. When we said we were two females, we were told we were not welcome. For all they knew we were just friends, except we did have the same address which they required to know.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Serious

I find that pretty hard to believe that they would tell two same sex people they are not welcome. So what if it's the same address, room mates travel together? How about sisters? etc.? Crazy.

I think the person who asked about who was being discriminated against was asking for more info to substantiate the claim, rather than just a vague accusation.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Jess

It says right on their website that same-sex couples are not allowed at Sandals, but can go to the family resort, Beaches. When I read that I decided that I would NEVER patronize them, and would tell everyone I know about their shameful policy.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Jen

What a lot of people don't know is that gay men are treated very badly in Jamaica. I have a good friend from Jamaica and he has told me stories. Most Jamaicans (from what I understand) are very anti-gay. He also said that gay men are treated a lot worse than gay women.

It all goes back to guys thinking it's cool for two chicks to be together but it's gross when two men are. How stupid is that.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Laura

I am a travel agent and a gay woman and I assure you that Sandals properties do NOT allow same sex couples, period. Regardless of being "just friends" or not. Those properties allow man/woman couples only. Believe it would be doubters, discrimination is alive and well in the world.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Tom

Kath,

My wife happens to be a travel agent. She is the one who has always informed me of Sandal's policies regarding who they will or will not allow to stay on their properties (no matter what country they're in). Whether they discriminate against whites, blacks, hispanics, jews or gay people should not matter to anyone: the fact is they DO discriminate and, personally, I will not patronize ANY establishment that discriminates against a person based on their race, sex, religion, etc.

Whether or not you choose to do so is up to you.

Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information