Oregon coast trip

Mar 5th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Oregon coast trip

My husband and I are planning a week long trip to the Oregon coast in late summer. We are just starting our planning and in looking at our dates we were wondering what would be the best time to go. Our time frame is mid August to mid September. What would be the best weather-wise and crowd-wise?

We are very excited about this trip. We are checking out accomodations, driving routes and activites. We are planning to fly into Portland, rent a car and drive the coast. We love hiking, walking and museums.

Thanks for suggestions.

Mrsd1
Mar 5th, 2010, 07:56 AM

I can't advise you about crowds but it would make sense that there would be fewer people after Labor Day than before. However, you might also sacrifice a few degrees of warmth by going later. We drove the coast in late May and found it uncrowded but windy and chilly. We were prepared for the chilly part but ended up having to get cheap windbreakers at Fred Myers because no matter how many layers we wore, the wind blew right threw. So I'd advise a tightly woven outer layer and ear covering. However, it was a truly beautiful trip (we also drove along the Columbia River from Portland to Hood River, then south to Bend for a couple of days before we went to the coast); I am suspicious Oregon might be the most beautiful state in the US.
Mar 5th, 2010, 08:07 AM
mms

Weather for mid August to mid September is usually very good here. Many, if not most, rentals on the coast are booked far in advance for the summer months. At this point, the best places will be booked for August already. Early September is just as nice, if not better, for weather. To give you an idea, when we got married we planned our outdoor wedding for early September so that we had the best chance of having a nice day (and it was). Also, schools here at back in session right after Labor Day, so the crowds go down a bit. It is still high season, but at least most families are back home.

If I were you, I would figure out where I wanted to stay and start looking at accommodations. That might dictate to you when you come
Mar 5th, 2010, 08:36 AM

If you are asking for things to do--

We really enjoyed the Coast Guard Museum in Astoria (way more than Coast Guard artifacts).

The Astoria Column gives you a great view of the Columbia River flowing out to the Pacific.

The Lewis and Clark exhibit at Fort Clastsop was good with a well done replica of the fort, a movie and artifacts.

We much preferred Cannon Beach over Seaside if you need to choose.

Ecola State Park (not a campground) is well worth your drive in for fabulous views of the coast--it is used in several movies.

The Tillamook Cheese Factory was fun. That's as far south as we went.

I hope you are going to drive the Columbia River Gorge east of Portland--very worth your time.
Mar 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM

I think the weather is more reliable the later you can go in September. Summer weather on the Oregon Coast can be VERY windy and pretty cool. Fall and spring are lovely seasons at the coast.

Connie hit the high points of the north coast, for the middle I love Lincoln City and Newport. I enjoy the dichotomy of the working/fishing and the tourist waterfront in Newport. Lincoln City has some fun shops too. Florence is fun, lots of dunes - maybe a dune ride? People really like Yachats (not my favorite but...) Pretty much from Florence south to Bandon Hwy 101 is mostly inland. There are parks you can get to the beach but it really can't be seen from the highway.

Enjoy!
Sara
Mar 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great info. I've been reading a lot of the Oregon posts and saving.

mms: I'm going to take your advice and start looking at accomodations and getting them set.

Sara: Dune rides sound fun! I'll check that out.

Polly and Connie: Thanks for the replies.

Mrsd1
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Just a thought -

While its off the coast and roughly 4 hours from bandon, check out crater lake national park. It's spectacular. Their lodge is one of the nicest and is close to the rim. If you find yourself with extra time or want to make time, its definitely worth the trip.

http://www.nps.gov/crla/index.htm

lodging thru xenterra-

http://www.craterlakelodges.com/scenics-507__87.html
Mar 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, Ellen. I would love to be able to go to crater lake, but I don't think we can make it this time. We have heard great stories of the hiking there. I guess it just means we will have to come back to see all we want to.

Mrsd
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM

September really is a beautiful month. I believe the area between Yachats and Florence to be the most natural and beautiful part of our coast. Old growth trees are within a 15 minute walk of Hwy 101; Cape Perpetua is the highest point on the coast you can reach by auto and offers spectacular views; the Gerdemann Botanical Preserve has over 700 Rhodies and the most amazing selection of plants you will find on the coast. Strawberry Hill and Heceta Head are year around seal rookeries. At low tide Neptune State Park offers amazing access to sea stars in a variety of colors. Here is a web site that offers virtual tours and more detail about the Yachats area: http://GoYachats.com
The home page also offers access to one of the few local weather stations on the coast.
Mar 7th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies and help. My husband and I have talked it ovr and decided to plan our trip for right after Labor Day. Now we are trying to whittle down our itinerary to fit into a week to 10 days. We are thinking of basing ourselves in one or two spots and doing day trips. Maybe focusing on the area around Portland for this first trip. I don't know. It's so hard to decide. I'll have more questions as we go along, but if you have any more advice, please share.

MrsD
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM

To narrow down and simplify your search of accommodations you could use accommodation directories that have detailed and nicely organized descriptions of the properties. For nice bed and breakfasts and other types of accommodations in the mentioned area try this one: http://www.recommendedinns.com/inns-Oregon-Coast.html
Mar 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Natalie! I did use that directory and I think we are going to stay at the Stephanie Inn.

MrsD