Portland and the Oregon Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this is the story of my life. I have planned in full detail a trip to the coast of Maine, and now a trip from San Francisco to LA (including purchased airfare) which will not be realized. Well, if we ever take those trips in the future, all my work has already been done.

My husband needs to go to Portland for business reasons. We can go anytime this summer so I have flexibiity. The original SF to LA trip was for 2 weeks, and we were going for my 50th bday and my husband's and my 20th anniversary. Now I am trying to devise a trip for 2 weeks, but with Portland and the Oregon coast. From what I have read and been told, I certainly will not feel cheated on scenery.

We have a 13 year old son, and a 14 year old daughter who are both very well traveled. The one issue we all had with the SF to LA trip, and Maine for that matter was the driving. It is possible to stay somewhere on the Oregon coast for at least 5 days (maybe 7) to relax, enjoy the scenery, eat at good local restaurants, do day trips from that coastal location, and of course, golf for my husband. I have read about golf in Bend, Oregon, and certainly we could go there for an overnight if that wouldn't work in the "perfect" location on the coast for an extended stay scenario.

We love scenery, the kids love to go rafting, I love to hike and can talk them into at the most 2 hour hikes, we love art and history and good food, and my husband would like to golf. The original trip was June 6-20, but we can change the date if it is better to go later in the summer.

So.....is there a realistic place to rent a house/cabin on the coast that is located where we could do fun day trips or just hang out in that area? What time of the summer is best? Certainly, we like warmer weather, but my daughter loves the rain (yes, we have told her to move to Seattle or Portland as an adult), and I would sacrifice gorgeous weather over a less touristy time of the summer. We would fly into Portland on a Saturday, and we would need to be there at least 2 maybe 3 business days, but the rest of the trip would be the coast, and we would have to fly back out of Portland two weeks from the original Saturday.

Thank you!
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM

The Oregon Coast is much less populated than the Maine or California coasts. Look at a map of the coast highway, US 101 (on Google Maps even). There are a lots of little towns from Astoria down to Brookings. None are really very big. Lincoln City and Newport are pretty big (and not far apart). Cannon Beach/Seaside are fairly big as well, and you could drive up to Astoria (easy drive) to see some historic stuff.

But honestly, I think you might get bored with 7 days in any of these towns.

I think I would be less afraid of the driving. It's really pretty easy, and much less congested than Maine and California. I'd probably spend 2-3 days in Cannon Beach and 2-3 days in Lincoln City or Newport myself. (That's maybe 2 hours drive on US 101, not bad at all.) That way, you could sample more of the coast and not get quite as stir crazy.

In fact, to anyone who didn't mention the driving fears, I'd recommend seeing the entire Oregon Coast if I had 7 days. You can easily drive the whole thing in two days. The southern portion of the coast south of Lincoln City is especially scenic. I'd probably spend a few nights in Cannon Beach, a few in Newport, and a few in Bandon or Gold Beach (which is at the mouth of the Rogue River = great river boat rides and more hiking).

Also don't expect to do much sun bathing and no swimming without a wet suit. The Pacific Ocean along the Oregon Coast is cold. The beaches can be only mildly warm in the summer, and you may well be wearing sweatshirts, even in August (or you might get lucky and you'll get 90 degree day; but the ocean still won't be warm). You can walk on the beach and hike in many of the parks and natural areas, though, as well as checking out the beautiful scenery, which is amazing.

Oh, and it will be busy in July and August on the coast for sure. September would be better but probably not so good for the kids...
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Andrew. This shows my ignorance....driving fears? So how scary is it?
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Not scary at all. Sorry, I didn't mean "fears" - I was referring to your reference to not wanting to drive so much.

I meant to say: I think you'd be better off not staying in one place on the Coast and just driving down it, spending 2-3 nights in each place. You'll see more that way. Part of the charm of the Oregon Coast is all the scenery you see by driving along and stopping here and there. But you wouldn't drive more than a few hours between stops.

FYI, Bandon on the southern part of the Coast is known for its terrific golfing. I think there's a decent course in Gerheart (north of Seaside, northern coast).

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:42 AM

I agree with all that Andrew wrote.

You mentioned Bend though, which is several hours from the coast. That said, even 7 days there is not too much. We head over there several times each year with our teens and never get bored. Hiking, white water rafting, canoeing, biking, swimming, High Desert Museum, Lava Butte, Lava Lands, Lava tube,fishing, golf...and of course the town itself for restaurants and shops and parks. We always stay a few miles south at Sunriver Resort, which has much to do onsite.

The coast is great too, but I would only do that for a couple days. We spent a week in Gearhart once and it was way too long. We are not people to just sit around, so by the 2nd day we were itching to get out and do things. As Andrew noted, you won't come here to lay around and sunbathe, lol!

Any way you can split your time between the coast and Bend? That would give you two good areas.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Andrew and mms! Well, now my husband has decided to visit Portland at another time on his own, and we are keeping the SF to LA trip which is fine with me since I put a lot of time and energy into creating the trip. I will keep your suggestions in mind for a future trip to the Oregon coast since it has been on my list of US scenic vacations.

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM

I'm...so glad we talked you out of coming to Oregon, LOL!

See you another time.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM

I hope you are able to get over to the Oregon Coast, we spend several weeks a year in Seaside at our beach cottage, there are many things to see and do and the scenery is gorgeous, we love the Cannon Beach area and Astoria area, also. Hsve fun! ***kim***
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM

The two weeks a year that you spend in Oregon, opening and closing your beach rental, must make you wish you could stay there all summer or even live there, right kim?
I know when we lived in Portland, every time I visited Cannon Beach or the other beautiful towns south of there, we would end up at a real estate agents, looking at homes for sale.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM

I don't know, Scarlett. It's Seaside, remember. A week there would be about all I could handle.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 01:12 PM

I've often had daydreams about moving to various Oregon Coast towns - but I realize I'd soon get bored in most of them. I know I'd be very bored myself after a week in Seaside or Cannon Beach - but different strokes...