Oregon Coast - 2 nights

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:50 AM
allison

Oregon Coast - 2 nights

Driving to Oregon Coast next week. Ideas on best towns, and where cam we find reasonable, clean lodging on the beach? Restaurants?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:54 AM
beachbum

If you don't have a res, you probably can't be too picky. On the beach accommodations are usually pretty booked this time of year. That said, Lincoln City, Newport, and Seaside are probably your best bets for on the beach as they're larger towns with more choices.

But, given a choice, I'd opt for Cannon Beach. Try the Major Motel, an older styled place right on the beach. You might also try the Inn at Tolovanna, which is right next to the Mo's someone recommended to you yesterday.

Though not on the beach, I also like the small motel on the main intersection in the small town of Gearhart, just north of Seaside. It's across the street from a bakery, which is next to one of the better restaurants on the coast. Maybe someone out there can help with the name. And the beach at Gearhart is long, wide, and quiet.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Kameha

I'm a fan of Yachats. Pretty, quaint town with some great dining option and pretty scenery. It's a small enough village that you can walk around in it. Very laid back but, like I said, very pretty. I definetly didn't like Newport.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:10 PM
ralph

Cannon Beach is our favourite place in our travels along the Oregon Coast, but phone ahead for accommodation. We also enjoyed Newport on a recent visit and exploring the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area further south was also a blast.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Sara

Probably the top towns are from the north Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach, Newport, Yachats, Florence, Bandon and Gold Beach.

Astoria is an old town with great old houses and a great shipping museum and other fun stuff, but probably not in a convenient place for you if you are driving the coast. Haven't been to Cannon Beach for a long time, according to people on here it is a fun artsy town - though bound to be crowded in the summer so call ahead. I think there are nice places to stay. Seaside is a touristy, amusement type town, might be good for kids.

My personal favorite is Newport, lots to do and great beaches but I also spend the most time there. I think it has done a good job combining tourism and a working seaport as well. I enjoy walking on the docks looking at the fishing boats and walking downtown through all the shops. As I said there are several great beaches as well. There is also a great aquarium, worth some time too. It is also centrally located. I haven't heard anyone say they didn't like it like Kameha.

I personally don't understand why people love Yachats so much, I think it must be the small, quaintness of it. Though the scenary is pretty too. It is close enough to Newport to do the fun stuff in Newport and not have to stay there.

Florence has the great sand dunes, you can rent a dune buggy thing. Also has a little downtown.

Bandon has a great state park with nice beaches and cranberries. Small town but not a ton to do. Gold Beach is the starting point for trips up the Rogue River - which is great fun.

So that is a brief description of each town. I can't give you a recommendation of places to stay because I don't stay on the coast very often. Just do some searches on the Internet for Oregon coast lodging, lots of places will show up. Restaurants.... lots of people like Mo's for the clam chowder and casual! ambiance.

It is a beautiful drive, be sure to stop often and enjoy the view.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Cherri

We just returned from the Oregon Coast and had a wonderful time. Don't stay in Astoria...it's probably too far out of your way anyway. We stayed at a Red Lion Inn that was recommended in a Fodor's guide. It was definitely shabby, but had a great view.
If you explore the beach in Seaside before noon, you'll not encounter a crowd. We dug up some Dungeness crabs (and returned them) and enjoyed the wide beach. A native said that he has never seen so many large crabs. Don't miss Ecola State Park just north of Cannon Beach. And the sand dunes at Newport are really fun! Have a great time!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:31 AM
x

Eeuuwww, don't bother staying in Astoria. Newport and Cannon Beach are nice.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Dar

Does Cannon still have lots of quaint little shops and galleries? Haven't been there in 10 years. What about the Stephanie Inn? Do you get your money's worth? Any interesting little stores to look through in Yachats? Anyone know if the Mossy Creek Pottery (I think that was its name) is still there -- on a little road inland from Salishan?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Roger

Cannon Beach is very nice but it will be very expensive. I like Rockaway Beach a whole lot when my wife and I went 6 years ago. Less expensive. And while you are on the coast, a trip to the Tillamook Cheese factory and outlet would be worth it.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:18 PM
pdx

Rockaway Beach is a dumpy little beach town. No place to eat in the area and just cheap trailers.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:22 PM
x

Interesting perspective Roger-Cannon Beach being expensive. As compared to what?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:20 PM
rph

It has been about 5 years-but we stayed at "House on the Hill" in Oceanside and still rank it as one of the best places we've stayed-there was not much in Oceanside but the view was stunning and rates (then) were reasonable and we had a kitchen.
We spent 2 weeks doing the coast and this was our favorite.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Paula

If you are in Cannon Beach, try Mo's for seafood--great crabcakes.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:15 PM
beachbum

No, don't go to Mo's. The only good Mo's is the original in Newport. Even there, you don't go so much for the food as the atmosphere. Unless you're really into garlic cheesebread!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Jill

Good place to eat or shop in Yachats?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Kameha

In reply to Jill's post:
Yachats is quaint but there are a few nice shops. Particularly Raindogs. Cool stuff and a great resident dog named Samuel. There is another nice shop I think on Third St. on the right side. It's attached to a coffee shop - I can't remember the name but they have some nice jewelry.
As far as restaurants, we had some great meals in Yachats. La Serre is talked about all the time and I have to say, that while it was good, we didn't think it was great and we felt rushed. We had a couple of great meals at The Drift Inn, which is a tavern. They had fabulous salmon in a blackberry/hazelnut sauce, also great burgers and great beer! Very relaxed, comfortable atmosphere - not fancy, though! There was also a new deli next to the Raindogs store that made great sandwiches which we would then take to the beach.
Hope that helps.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:48 AM
Larry

Rockaway Beach sucks the big one baby.
Tacky, tacky and as ugly as the Oregon coast can possibly get. Flat ugly beach too. Ugh ugh ugh

Yachats is one of the most attractive areas on the coast. La Serre, always had good meals there and never felt rushed at all. Been there over a dozen times.