Search

OR Coast help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OR Coast help

Hi!
We will be in the Portland area Spt 9-15th. I have 2-3 days to tour the coast. How much can I fit in? We move quick but don't want to be crazed (just my hubby and me). My tentative itinerary:
Portland area Spt 9-12, include a day trip to the Gorge and Multomah Falls.
Mon 9/13 to McMinnis- tour wineries, overnight at one.
Tues 9/14 Drive to S of Newport for exploring and overnight in NewPort
Wed 9/15 up the coast, overnight in Cannon Beach
Thurs 9/16 to Seattle to see friends for 3 days.

Is there much to see between Cannon Beach and Seattle? My first trip to OR, so excited!
All suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:48 AM

I think it depends on what you want to do. I just got back from oregon and enjoyed just hanging out in newport for while. THe skamania lodge just over the bridge of the gods is a great place to stay in the gorge. your drive from mcminnis down the coast back to newport could be a lot of driving that day.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:12 PM

The Columbia Gorge Hotel is THE place to stay in the gorge area. www.columbiagorgehotel.com It's a gorgeous property with a full country farm breakfast in the morning. If you don't stay here, just take a tour of the property and enjoy the grounds. ***kim***
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:45 PM

What are you planning to do in Portland? Honestly, I've lived around here most of my life, and am hard-pressed to imagine what a tourist would do in the city for more than a couple days. I'm asking because I think you might want more time at the coast.

The plan to go up the Gorge is great; maybe extend that day to include Mt. Hood (Portland to Hood River via the Old Columbia River Highway, to Mt. Hood (Timberline Lodge) via highway 35, then back to Portland on 26).

Do you mean McMinnville (9/13)? It's only about 40 miles from Portland, so unless you're going just for a B&B experience, I'm not sure why you'd want to overnight there. Or, do you mean McMenamins, which is a local company noted mostly for their beer, though they do make some wine, and have a number of B&B sort of places in the Portland area. Oregon wine country is little like Napa Valley, and I don't know of any wineries that have overnight accommodations. You can easily tour/taste at a number of places in a day trip from Portland.

After seeing the Oregon coast, I think the best way from Cannon Beach to Seattle is back through Portland. Maybe do a detour to Mt. St. Helen's on the way up.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

We have friends in Portland we are visiting so they'll entertain us! We'll be on our own once we head out of there until we reach Seattle.
Yes,I meant McMinnville, I found a winery that does overnights that I hope to stay at, our friends have done the winery thing a few times so we plan to do that on our own (and be more romantic).
I do like the Mt St Helens detour idea.

Does starting in Newport and heading N make the most sense with this type of plan? Shld we head further south to start up? We like to explore and hike and eat! and may even rent some bikes to cycle.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:17 PM

If you like to hike you will feel like you are in paradise! The gorge area has lots of short hikes with waterfalls galore, then there is the timberline trail area at Mt. Hood, and also great hiking at Mt. St. Helens.

We really enjoy the McMenamins places also...they are all unique and always have fun things going on.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:35 PM

It's an hour or so on highway 18 from McMinnville to the coast, and just a few minutes more to the trail head of my favorite hike in the area: Cascade Head. Spectacular view! Maybe leave the winery early so you can finish the hike by noon, and still have the rest of the day to "explore" down the coast and around Newport. If you leave the winery really early, stop at the cafe in Otis for breakfast.

The drive from Newport to Cannon Beach is only 100 miles or so, but, with everything to do and see, you'll wish you had more time. Hence the earlier suggestion to cut out one of the Portland days.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:23 PM

Another place that I like a lot and doesn't get mentioned too often on this site is Manzanita. The Fireside Inn & Cafe has some really good marionberry stuffed french toast. Really cozy place, decorated in bright colors and a mauve colored woodstove in the middle if it's cool outside.

Nahalem has some antique shops we like to stroll through and it's an awesome sight to watch the fisherman out on the water here. Some of my favorite photos in Oregon Coast magazine were taken in this area. ***kim***
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:27 PM

Kimamom,

You mentioned Manzanita. We spent a day there, walking on the beach, etc, but didn't overnight. Since we really loved the area, do you have a suggestion for a place to stay? Cabin, house, B&B?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:41 PM

If I was staying there, I would choose the Inn at Manzanita. www.innatmanzanita.com is the website. Enjoy! ***kim***
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:25 AM

If you are traveling down towards Depoe Bay, the Channel House Inn is wonderful! The whirlpool tub for your room is outside on your patio. We had a great view of watching the Coast Guard doing practice rescue's during a storm. Breakfast there is also wonderful. The rooms are actually suites with a fireplace. www.channelhouseinn.com

I have stayed at the Columbia Gorge Hotel as well. Just remember that it is an old hotel listed as a historical site. The place smelled a bit musty to me, but then, Oregon is rather damp! We had the Waterfall Room. Although we could hear the waterfall, the view wasn't the greatest. Breakfast was very nice, but our dinner was so-so. The drive to Mt Hood was well worth it. Also, if you cross the river into Washington, there are some very nice vineyards to visit.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Some of the rooms at the Channel Huose look outdated. The Suite Salt Air, #12 does look nice, tho. The website actually is www.channelhouse.com, no inn. ***kim***