Search

Oregon for 8 days

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon for 8 days

My husband and I are planning a trip to Oregon in September
Can anyone recommed a driving itinerary that would take from portland to the coast and some wineries without needing to spend more time in the car and actually enjoying a few choice destinations ?

We are also thinking of adding a few more days and visiting a friend in Seattle. How long is the drive from Portland to Seattle?

thanks
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Portland to Seattle - two and a half hours without hitting traffic.

There are other posts in here about what to do/see in Oregon and differences of opinion. If it were me - having grown up there and been all over the state - I would first head out the Columbia Gorge to see the waterfalls along the way - Multnomah being great and their cafe has a glass ceiling to look up at the falls, and then stay at a B & B there and visit some local wineries - or go to Mt. Hood - Timberline Lodge - our favorite - and then commute back to the Hood River Valley (45 minutes or so - beautiful drive) to a winery - or head in toward Portland and hit some wineries about the Sandy area.

From there - you could visit other wineries in the northern part of the Willamette Valley - or drive to Astoria and make your way down the Coast as far as you want to go the first day.

Or - drive down to Eugene via 5 - and check some wineries around there (see below) and make your way over to Florence on the Oregon Coast - about an hour.

If you were gong down the Coast from Astoria/Cannon Beach - I think just south of Lincoln at the Surfrider Resort is great - and when you get to Florence - you could go on down the Coast a bit - or head inland to Eugene to some winereies around there - such as King Estate, Sweet Cheeks, Hinman, etc.

From Eugene -many options - and it's about 2 and a half hours back up 5 to the Portland Airport.
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:04 PM

You'll have a great time whatever you do.....Portland is a great city and the people, food, and culture are fantastic! The only issue is when in September.....mid to late September will most likely be overcast....

I would drive to the gorge and stay at the Edgefield Winery. The gorge is great during the day and Edgefield will be a uniquely Oregon experience.

From there, go back to Portland and stay a day or two....waterfront, districts, rose garden/parks, saturday market, food and wine and beer.....enjoy! Try 'The Hotel Vintage Plaza'....classic botique hotel and location.

I forget the town between Tigard and Newburg, but heading that way toward the beach you'll hit several Willamette Valley Vineyards....take your time.....and end up at the coast.

From Portland, plan on an hour and a half to the mountains and gorge (east) and an hour and a half to the coast (west). Have a great trip....
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Presume you are flying into PDX and then driving? Itineraries above are great if you have the time. How long will you be in the Portland area? If only a few days, you don't want to drive back and forth to Eugene .... by the time you take in some wineries and some food, the day is gone But the Willamette Valley has some of the best wineries and also some covered bridges to visit. Seattle area also has some really lovely wineries.
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Look at SR 99W south to Eugene with many wineries along the way in Newberh, McMinnville and Dundee areas. The over to the coast, up to Astoia and back to Portland. Or a little shorter, return to Portland at Tillamook.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 08:54 AM

From Portland you can take 99W through Newberg and Dundee for lots of wine tasting and dining options. Winery tasting rooms along 99W include Anam Cara, Argyle, Four Graces, Dobbes, etc. For a few options in the hills, there's Winderlea and Bella Vida with great views but still convenient to 99W.

To get to the coast, take Hwy 18 just past Dundee and you will get to Hwy 101 near Lincoln City. Off of 101 North, you can visit Proposal Rock in Neskowin which is a nice stop and not crowded (Neskowin is about the size of a postage stamp so if you blink you will miss it).

From there, you can continue on to Manzanita, Cannon Beach, Seaside, and Astoria before looping back to Portland.